1976 Mercury 50hp wiring

CapPhil64

Seaman
I am rewiring my engine and i didn't have either wiring harness and someone told me to just hard wire my wires from control harness to the motor. I started to do this following a wiring diagram. I ended up with a white wire that does not come out on internal wiring harness and was wondering if anyone could tell me where i need to connect this wire to. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. i.e.- what the wire functionally does.

merc850

Commander
I'm looking at the manual and the motors before 1976 used the white wire to provide power to the switchbox, in 1976 they used alternator driven ignition which didn't need external power so they left it out of the motor wiring. Just cut it clean and insulate it with some covering that is not affected by gasoline and tape it to the other wires.

CapPhil64

Seaman
Thank you so much for the advice. I had to buy a new trigger plate and I will just be waiting on that to come in to see if my wiring did the trick and gets this motor running. I have already swapped spark plugs, did a carb job and put new gas lines on the carbs. I also changed the lower end unit. Is there anything else I should try and do before i consider this motor ready to run across the lake and back?

CapPhil64

Seaman
That's what i meant to say above. I changed the lower unit oil and impeller with new gaskets. Sounds like i covered the basics with the word of mouth advice from friends. Ya'll have all been so helpful with everything else though. I greatly appreciate the knowledge that i have gained through this site.

CapPhil64

Seaman
Is there any special battery terminal cable I should look at that is marine quality?