50hp mercury hard to start even when warm

Arty76

Cadet
I have a 2003 50Hp Mercury that is hard to start even after it's warmed up, it won't start by just turning the key, I usually have to move the throttle to about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle just like it's the first cold start of the day.

Alumarine

Captain
If you shut it down when it's warm and then try and restart after a minute or 2 do you need to do anything other than turn the key.

Is it only of you let it sit longer than that do you have to do something else to start it?

If so, I'd say that's normal. Just advance the throttle a bit in neutral and it should start. Don't use the choke.

Arty76

Cadet
It doesn't matter how long I let it sit it does that, actually sometimes it will start up by just turning the key, but most often I have to advance the throttle and push the key in to prime

Alumarine

Captain
It doesn't matter how long I let it sit it does that, actually sometimes it will start up by just turning the key, but most often I have to advance the throttle and push the key in to prime
Have you tried to start it with just the throttle advanced a bit and not priming it?

Arty76

Cadet
Yes, but again it doesn't seem right that I should have to do anything other than turn the key to start it after it's warmed up.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try opening the low speed idle 1/8 turn at a time. Check for fuel blockage; clean gas filter; clean/replace plugs; make sure fresh gas. Try some Seafoam/decarbonizer.