Primer bulb - frequency of use

bladecrasher

Cadet
We have a Whaler we bought used last summer. We used it a few times before having it winterized. It had an issue where we would need to re-prime (pump) the bulb after only 1 day of idle time (marina overnight). Is this normal?

The bulb is below a deck plate, so accessing it is a pain.

Does an air leak cause the loss of prime and require the re-pressurization?

We are wondering if a new hose and bulb should be installed before launching this Spring.

We saw this post on a Whaler oriented site. See the photo part way down. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/primer.html

Maybe we should have the fuel line outside the sheath that holds all the other wires, etc. going to the motor like this image. What do others do and what should we expect?

Thanks for any comments.

I've no experience with this set up, my thoughts are make sure all connections are tight, over the years hose clips can loose tension and flexible pipe becomes hard. New clips and new fuel line will allow you to discount that as a problem.

In the article it states the common simple fuel pump only starts being effective when the engine runs, so possible your pumps diaphragm has weakened and as your only ticking over is beginning not to deliver the minimum fuel needed.

To my mind perhaps have the pump overhauled and/or fit an electric pump from a car.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
normal to have to re-prime the next day.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Gasoline evaporates from carburetors and that is why you have to refill them.----Very normal.-------Move the bulb so it is easy to get at !!

bladecrasher

Cadet
Perfect. Just what we needed to know. We will use new parts and set it up so we can reach the bulb easily.