95 60hp Mercury Lower Unit not changing gears?

G

So I finally got my water pump replaced and put the prop lower unit on. When I move the shift rod, the prop only ratchets clockwise and won't move counterclockwise. I think it's stuck in forward?

I disconnected the shift cable and slowly moved the shift rod back and forward in effort of finding neutral where the prop where spin freely but it never gets there.

Any ideas??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In forward it ratchets one way and locks the other way----NORMAL !----------Take lower unit off.-----------Put lower unit in nuetral.---------Put control in neutral .-------Install lower unit.

G

Dropped the lower unit, I'm turning the shift gear counter-clockwise, I can't seem to find Neutral. The prop should be able to spin without turning the driveshaft if the lower unit is in neutral, correct? thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be correct.--------There is a strong spring in there and it takes some effort to to turn shift shaft counterclock-wise to find neutral.

G

Something must be going on, here is a video I took, spinning the shift rod:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove that coupling piece and see if you can turn the shiftshaft.---Splines damaged in that coupling piece ?

G

Well, I just got the call from the Marine shop, they fixed it but it's gonna cost me $440!!!

New shift rod, shift rod seal, bushing, & prop shaft seals, pressure tested.

If that shift rod gets lifted for whatever reason, get ready for a world of hurt in the wallet. I'm never taking off my lower unit after this.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a clip on the shift rod that keeps it from pulling out of the lower unit.