Impeller change issue

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all just dropped the box and changed the impeller on my new to me mariner 55 - I went to take the old one out and there were no blades at all, it was getting dark so I shook the box upside down but couldn't find any shredded blades - could this be a problem it's back together now as needed to do when light

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Likely went into the powerhead one at a time, until there was no more water flow to carry them.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks hey roscoe if that's the case is that bad news? Won't it mash them up and carry on? Where do they usually go?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I pulled impeller blades out of the pump intake below the impeller once. If the new impeller sucks stronger, those chunks could take all the blades off the new impeller.

I think you will be dropping the lower to check the water tube and to do some reverse flushing.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is that where they normall end up? In the pre impeller water intake? Where else?
Bit paranoid now but on a Merc 50 last year did the same thing and was missing all the vanes- I foundall but one or two of them and assumed it would be ok I've been on it a few short times now probably done about 12 miles no real issues - how long until you'd expect a problem if there were to be one likely?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is that where they normall end up? In the pre impeller water intake? Where else?
Bit paranoid now but on a Merc 50 last year did the same thing and was missing all the vanes- I foundall but one or two of them and assumed it would be ok I've been on it a few short times now probably done about 12 miles no real issues - how long until you'd expect a problem if there were to be one likely?

Anywhere in the cooling system. Try to find all the pieces.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sondp they ever just disintegrate or work there way out?

Treatme as an idiot - I can clean carbs do impellers and gear oil that's about it - so on a Merc 50 and mariner 55 what constitutes the cooling system ? And how do I get to it all - sorry for stupid questions!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
You must get rid of the bits and pieces of impeller. If you are not handy with this, take it to a shop. Probing and pressure flushing are needed and should be done by a mechanic who's familiar with the engine.