NOISE AND VIBRATION

Inveresk

Cadet
I viewed a 2006 Trophy with a 135hp Verado with less than 300 hours. Cosmetically both were pristine but when the outboard was started, noise was high, almost like a silencer was missing, and at idle the vibration was marked. The boat was on a trailer at the time and inside a canvas shelter. This might have amplified noise and the trailer wouldn't dampen any vibration as it would if the boat were in the water. What's the norm with this engine? Reviews I've read suggest it's quiet but some YouTube videos otherwise. And how about vibration at idle? Should this be felt throughout the back of the boat and the floor? I'm trying to arrange a mechanical inspection but wonder if I should just cut and run instead.

alldodge

Staff member
I viewed a 2006 Trophy with a 135hp Verado with less than 300 hours. Cosmetically both were pristine but when the outboard was started, noise was high, almost like a silencer was missing, and at idle the vibration was marked. The boat was on a trailer at the time and inside a canvas shelter. This might have amplified noise and the trailer wouldn't dampen any vibration as it would if the boat were in the water. What's the norm with this engine? Reviews I've read suggest it's quiet but some YouTube videos otherwise. And how about vibration at idle? Should this be felt throughout the back of the boat and the floor? I'm trying to arrange a mechanical inspection but wonder if I should just cut and run instead.

:welcome: to iboats

A vibration at idle in most cases is caused by fuel (to much, to little), but can also be simple as needs new plugs to needs valve work. I wouldn't be to concerned with loud unless your seeing something else with the noise. If it was on muffs it will be louder then sitting in the water. Need to have it checked out and start with looking at the plugs and do a compression test.

Inveresk

Cadet
No, the boat was on a trailer. Having launched the vessel, the noise has dropped dramatically and there is no vibration. My fears that there was a problem were groundless.