Mercury impeller replacement kit

Georooney

Seaman
I bought a Quicksilver 47-43026Q06 impeller replacement kit for my 90 HP 4-stroke Mercury O/B. In addition to the parts I obviously need to replace, the kit contains 2 large orange o-rings, 2 smaller yellow washers (?) and 1 small orange o-ring(?). I can't see any place where these belong. What am I missing? Or are they for another model of O/B? (I'm suspected the latter.)

Thanks,

Geo

Alumarine

Captain
That kit is for a number of different motors which may use more/different parts than yours.
The yellow washers could be for the drain and vent screws for the gearbox.

Georooney

Seaman
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. Come to think of it, the little yellow washers do resemble the gaskets on the plugs for the lower unit, although mine are blue and there are three of them.

Throw the spare parts away? :)

Fun Times

Staff member
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. Come to think of it, the little yellow washers do resemble the gaskets on the plugs for the lower unit, although mine are blue and there are three of them.

Throw the spare parts away? :)
You know you did something right when there's extra parts.:becky:

Yes the later style drain and vent seals are yellow....Both styles are still available though.

The other 3 O-rings are for the alpha stern drive. 2 of the bigger rings are for the drive shaft and the small seal would go between the upper and lower units as it seals an oil passage between the two units...Item numbers 7 & 30. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...sc=GEAR+HOUSING(DRIVESHAFT)(COUNTER+ROTATION)

Georooney

Seaman
The other 3 O-rings are for the alpha stern drive. 2 of the bigger rings are for the drive shaft and the small seal would go between the upper and lower units as it seals an oil passage between the two units...Item numbers 7 & 30. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...sc=GEAR+HOUSING(DRIVESHAFT)(COUNTER+ROTATION)

Ah yes, thanks. I'm sure I don't have those parts in my lower unit. Always a relief to know that one hasn't overlooked something when one is a newbie at O/B engine repair, and especially when the motor is the difference between a good day on the water and a disaster. :lol: