1989 Mercury 100 leaking 2 cycle oil through bottom carb intake

Cloehr1321

Recruit
Hey everyone I've been researching online and haven't been able to find anyone with similar problem. I have a 1989 SeaRay 160 with 2-stroke Mercury 100 4-cylinder and when motor is fully tilted the bottom carb leaks 2 cycle oil badly out of the intake, when motor is not tilted it is just fine. Seems to run good but would like to solve the leak. From what I've read im leaning towards the float being stuck in bottom carb. Just had them all rebuilt last summer :/ just curious if anyone has suggestions before I remove the carb myself. I have ran it and tried knocking on bottom of carb moderately too see if that would help, no luck so far. Maybe once I run it out on the water some it could resolve on its own? I have not had it on the water this year yet. Thanks for your time everyone, any input is appreciated!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Looks like somebody didn't "fix the leak". The only thing that keeps your carb from leaking is your needle valve seating properly. Cause is defective valve or seat and/or float level not set correctly. Since 1 is and 3 aren't then I would assume the mechanic knew where to set the floats so that leaves the needle or seat. The seat has a slot in in whereby you can unscrew it for replacement and should be perfectly smooth where the needle rests in it. The needle is probably rubber tipped and should be a perfect cone, no deformations of any kind. Also the needle and float should operate freely with no binding of any kind, including when you put the bowl back on the carb.

Mark