merControl ignition and wiring issue

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I opened up my merControl to replace the ignition cylinder since my 7 yr old broke it. I'm kinda glad she did as when I opened it to get the part number I found a surprise that probably could have left me dead in the water at some point. I attached two pics of the wires. My question is can I just pull existing wire into the box from the existing line or should I replace it all? Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

merc850

Commander
Cut the cable back about 6", strip each wire and solder each one to its terminal; if you do them one at a time it's easier to keep track of them.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cut the cable back about 6", strip each wire and solder each one to its terminal; if you do them one at a time it's easier to keep track of them.

Thank you! Any info on where I can find the ignition with a new key? The sticker says B51045 with the key#126. I have googled the numbers and the only thing I can find is the key. Any insight is greatly appreciated as well.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would even consider changing from a key start to a push button or just an on off toggle switch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The wiring in my remote (and motor) looked just as bad. It's one of the hazards of old Mercs - Crumbly wiring.

126 B51045 is the part number for the key, cut 126. Won't help you. You need Quicksilver 54211T or the equivalent from Sierra or another mfgr. Hold on to your shorts when you see Quicksilver (Mercury) prices.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wiring in my remote (and motor) looked just as bad. It's one of the hazards of old Mercs - Crumbly wiring.

126 B51045 is the part number for the key, cut 126. Won't help you. You need Quicksilver 54211T or the equivalent from Sierra or another mfgr. Hold on to your shorts when you see Quicksilver (Mercury) prices.
Thanks for the help! I see they are about 50.00 which is absurd. But they have us over a barrel with supply and demand. I guess I will be spending some time soldering some wires after the part arrives. Any tips you could give on the repair?

merc850

Commander
You get what you pay for - the original lasted 40 years so why not go with a Merc replacement, I just recently paid $36 for an aftermarket car brake light switch and I'm not happy with its fit.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You get what you pay for - the original lasted 40 years so why not go with a Merc replacement, I just recently paid $36 for an aftermarket car brake light switch and I'm not happy with its fit.
If I could find a replacement from the switch to the motor and it was the correct fitment I would replace it all to have the piece of mind it was new and I wouldnt have to worry about it.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How can I find out if a controller like the one in the auction listed below will be a replacement for the merControl I am currently dealing with trying to fix? I apologize for these questions but this is my first old boat and things seem to be rigged up and everything is pretty dilapidated. Thank you for your patience and assistance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item27e5f7b467&vxp=mtr

GA_Boater

I don't think the end of the cable will plug into your motor. Doesn't your cable have the right angle plug into the side of the motor?

You asked about fixing the wires and soldering. I used flux core solder like I've used for years. What I did was take a new piece of wire, tin it and solder to the switch. Then I skinned the cable back until I found good insulation, cut the old wire and did a solder splice between the old and new wire. Obviously,I did one wire at a time. When I was done, I used split loom to cover the whole mess up.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think the end of the cable will plug into your motor. Doesn't your cable have the right angle plug into the side of the motor?

You asked about fixing the wires and soldering. I used flux core solder like I've used for years. What I did was take a new piece of wire, tin it and solder to the switch. Then I skinned the cable back until I found good insulation, cut the old wire and did a solder splice between the old and new wire. Obviously,I did one wire at a time. When I was done, I used split loom to cover the whole mess up.

Yes I have that right angle plug but was figuring if I could find a controller with the same amount of wires and controls the same functions I would be able to just cut the two harnesses and splice in the old plug on the new wires. The inside of this MerControl has that little box that needs replacement inside it that is no longer made. I was also hoping to move the trim switch to the same unit and kinda modernize it a bit. I'm Honestly not confident in my ability to do this repair and was figuring if there was a suitable replacement it would be more money but a better option. Thanks for the quick reply also. I just don't want to make matters worse and end up stranded in my first tournament coming up in May.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At my wits end! Attempting to change merControl

Thanks for taking a minute to read this. I'm at my wits end locally and cannot find any help at the boat shops. I opened up my merControl to replace the ignition switch to find the wiring inside was corroded and unsafe. My question is am I able to change to this type of controller for ignition and throttle. The current harness to the engine is a right angle plug. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to what I would like to change to if possible.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item27e5f7b467&vxp=mtr

Here are pics of my current mess

GA_Boater

Derek - Moved the new thread you started back into this one. The answer is still no. You won't have much luck mixing new prewired controls with old motors with out some work.

Find the serial number of the motor as advised in one of your other threads, We can tell you exactly what you need for a harness from the control to the motor and the motor internal harness if you need it.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Derek - Moved the new thread you started back into this one. The answer is still no. You won't have much luck mixing new prewired controls with old motors with out some work.

Find the serial number of the motor as advised in one of your other threads, We can tell you exactly what you need for a harness from the control to the motor and the motor internal harness if you need it.

Flashlight in hand! Heading to the garage. Appreciate the help once again! Very much appreciate your knowledge

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Serial #3868061
I called my father in law and he told me where to look. It was under a lot of grease but I found it!

merc850

Commander
That black thing near the switch with the roller on it is the neutral interlock switch; in neutral (in photo) it should be closed and power will go thru it if you push the throttle F or R it will be open and no power flows thru. It's easy to test.