1988 Mercury 70hp,, What to check to see if its worth the trouble?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Mercury 70hp motor. Been sitting a while. Don't know if it runs. Don't have a manual. What should I check to see if it is even worth messing with? If it is worth it, I'll get a manual and go from there. Just don't want to spend time or money on a no win situation. I know the carbs are going to need cleaning, at the least. What about compression range?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Take a compression test. The compression should be 90+ PSI and most importantly, even or nearly even across all cylinders. Drain a few drops of gearcase lube. Check it for clarity and feel it for shavings. Clear is good and shavings are bad. If those two items check out, take a spark test. If that works, the rest of the stuff is pretty cheap to fix, if you do the work.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I think your idea of a manual is a great idea. This site sells either the manual or www access to a manual for a time period fee which I used and was great. I liked the Seloc over my OEM in several situations as it has more pictures and more detailed explanation. Cost is reasonable.

On lower unit oil, What Chris said about clear doesn't mean drinking water clarity. Clear for lower unit oil under the Quicksilver/Mercury brand is blue black, under the Pennzoil brand is honey colored clear. If the engine has not been run and has been sitting vertical for any length of time, any water will settle to the bottom of the gearcase and if you carefully remove the drain plug in the lower unit water will come out first. Otherwise a brown/tan milky looking oil indicates the presence of homogenized oil and since the engine has been sitting for awhile as you said, some corrosion could be present. If the oil is "clear" then that should be ok.

On compression, my manual for a later model triple said that anything below 120 could be a problem. Numbers withing 10-15% (depends who you are talking to) are ok and actually mean more than actual pressure due to various things being involved....carbon deposits, stuck rings sort of things.

If sitting for a period, the rubber impeller in the lower unit usually takes a "set" whereby the blades don't extend straight out from the center like on a new one. They are folded back which reduces their ability to pump water and engine overheating usually results. New impeller is a serious thought. They sell them here too for $10-15.

That year, as I recall is the new loop charged 3 cylinder engine which does have a thermostat and may have a pressure relief valve (pop-off) for the higher rpm operation. Both should be inspected and tested for functionality. Usually on the rear of the engine block or top aft of the flywheel on the block.

If you decide to go for it, lower compression numbers might be solved by adding Sea Foam fuel supplement to your gas, at least for awhile (I used it all the time). Don't know if that engine has a built in oil pump or not. If so fine just add it to your gas of if not, add it to your 50:1 (1 pt. of TC-W3 oil to 6 gal reg. gas) pre mix. On the initial tank of "fresh gas", I'd dump the whole can (16 oz) in it. Then use per the can recommendation of 1 oz per gallon to keep your engine in tip top shape. I'd try the SF before you go ballistic thinking you need an overhaul due to low compression......if you can get it to run.

On the carbs, they may or may not need attention. Depends on how it was shut down and how long in storage. If you don't feel like fooling with carb kits initially, fire it up if it will, and see how it runs. If it runs pretty good, the Sea Foam will clean things up for you over time.

​Mark

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to both of you. I will check all of your items out. If all goes well, I'll be getting a manual and going from there. If not, I will be shopping for a motor. Are these year models of Mercs good motors? Are there any know problems that plague them?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, one more thing.. Can anybody steer me in the color coding of the ignition switch? it has been removed. Or a simple wire diagram?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A wire diaghram can be had on the maxrules website. In a nutshell, black is ground, red is battery +12V, Purple is +12VDC accessory, black/yellow is ign killer, yellow/black is choke, tach signal is grey. Starter Solenoid is yellow/red. Did I miss anything?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
A wire diaghram can be had on the maxrules website. In a nutshell, black is ground, red is battery +12V, Purple is +12VDC accessory, black/yellow is ign killer, yellow/black is choke, tach signal is grey. Starter Solenoid is yellow/red. Did I miss anything?

No but the purple accessory is 12v from the key switch when in some positon other than OFF. On some engines it's red/purple stripe. Somebody might benefit from the distinction.

Mark

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found a link on this forum to an online manual. Awesome! But I cant be sure of the part number? Any idea? I have found out it was a push to choke.

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
90 pound on each cylinder, within 1 to 2 pound of each other. So far so good. I did figure out the starter was messed up. Somebody had it wired backwards. on to checking the lower unit today. Gonna try and look inside the cylinders as well. Once, I do pull the carbs, should I go ahead and change the reeds, while I'm in that far?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Push to choke is still push to choke, regardless of the method as long as it's electrical solenoid activated vs manually pulling the choke lever. Some engines have electro-mechanical where the yellow/black wire gets 12v when the key is pushed in with the switch in the ON, Start, or Run positions. On these engines they either have the electrical switch (solenoid) connected to a rod that mechanically pulls choke butterflies across the front of the carburetor venturi, or they allow gas to flow into the intake manifold (called fuel enrichment) rather than using butterflies.

A couple of popular Mercury/Quicksilver controls are the Commander 2000 and 3000. The 2000 mounts ON the bulkhead whereas the 3000 mounts IN the bulkhead and is recognized by a large black plastic button at the fulcrum of the shift/throttle lever. Wiring diagrams are the same. Choice is per connector pin-out pin count at the engine. Count the number of pins in your engine's connector and get the corresponding remote be it a 2000 or 3000, doesn't matter. Wire color codes follow the same functionality. Your engine manual will have an appropriate wiring diagram for your engine. Again, the remotes I listed are for many Merc models. It depends on the number of wires in the pin on your engine as which 2000 or 3000 you use. Iboats sells them and I bought a 2000 a couple of years ago at a great price to replace a 12 year old 3000 which I hated......reasons: Hard engagement to get throttle only, and awkwardness of fast idle. 2000 didn't have either of these problems even though the output cables and wiring harness were exposed rather than concealed behind the bulkhead.

Mark

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its a Commander 2000. New issue I see is, the oil injection is unhooked. It's unhooked at the vent side of the oil tank, and plugged off. Should I go through the trouble of fixing the oil injection on this motor? Is it reliable? Older motors, I have just mixed my own. But, if its a reliable design? Why not use it? Any suggestions on that?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You rarely see a bottom driven oil injection gear fail, that why Merc didn't put rotational sensors on it .Even the 3.0 liter motor don't have rotational sensor. Just hook it back up and check it to see if it pumps(add some oil to fuel in case). Your more likely to find float bad in tank than oil pump bad..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I disconnected mine a couple of years ago as my engine was 12 years old and I just didn't want to worry about it. That was my reason. I slept better at night. Was I over reacting? Could have been. Your engine your decision.

If you are of a mind, then get some Pennzoil TC-W3 at Walmart and pre mix at 50:1 till you know your pump is pumping. I say this because it was my oil of choice being synthetic blend and the price was much better than OEM oil. It smoked very little which is why you would want to use it both in your engine's tank and your remote tank....reduce smoking from running 25-1 oil IF your pump IS working.

Best way to tell is to check your reservoir after you hook it up. Mark the current reservoir oil level and add a pint or quart of oil. Get 6 or 12 gallons of gas and oil, 50:1 premix and run it out. If your oil level in your tank dropped the amount you put in then it's working and you can quit premixing oil in your gas if you want. If it stayed where it was the previous owner must have pulled the pump drive gear like I did to disable it and you will have to continue to use the pre mix or replace the parts PO removed.

That's my 2c,
Mark

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Digging a little deeper. I pulled the side cover, and discovered somebody didn't use antisiez on any of the bolts? And, after cussing about that, I looked into The cylinder bores. No. 1 has a gaul mark from hell! So, being the type that I am. I might try and rebuild the motor, if economical. Rebuild kit with pistons is about 800.00, I've found so far. So, my question is, Should I? Is this year of motor worth it? If I rebuild, I will go all the way through it. Lower and all. I figure if I am going to spend the time, why not crack it open once. Plus, I will learn a lot about my motor. But, Is it worth it? I can buy a used motor, again? or have a dang near like new one, I'm guessing for about a grand total? Any advice will be appreciated. or sources for good parts kits. Thanks guys.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I think an older engine has merits. I think one of the problems is the EPA meddling in the marine engine market and mfgrs. doing things to support the requirements. Remembering my older engines I had a lot less trouble with them then I had with my '02. I like the CDI vs belt drive Magneto with ignition points. I like the Direct Charge and better the Loop Charged fuel scavenging for fuel efficiency. I do like the newer lower units whereby 2 screws removed your carrier bearing and prop seal housing rather than the corrosion prone spanner removal threaded housing ring. I also like the newer ('02 had it) bracket that was a big help in getting the lower unit connections (shifter, water tube, drive shaft) lined up when reinstalling it. I like the single piston trim and tilt vs the earlier model that had external rams on either side of the clamp bracket.

Years ago I had a locked up triple and machine work, boring, piston, rings, bearings, etc., including all parts and installation in the block was $1000. I did the rest of it.

Certain amount of personal satisfaction in going through it yourself. Get the manuals, get on here and ask questions when in doubt. Ought to be successful if you have any kind of mechanical dexterity.

Your call.

Mark

Last edited:

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good advice. I'm gonna tear it completely down first. check all my tolerances, and if its rebuildable? It's getting rebuilt. I believe I can handle a rebuild like this, I have rebuilt many a car engine and a few diesels. I think the same way about older things, back then, they were built to last. Trucks, cars, boats, houses, TV's all of it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Good advice. I'm gonna tear it completely down first. check all my tolerances, and if its rebuildable? It's getting rebuilt. I believe I can handle a rebuild like this, I have rebuilt many a car engine and a few diesels. I think the same way about older things, back then, they were built to last. Trucks, cars, boats, houses, TV's all of it.

I can't agree with you on automobiles/trucks and TVs. No way.

Good luck.

Mafrk

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ha! I've got a F350 7.3 That I wouldn't trade for gold! But on another note. I got the engine torn down. All factory, no oversized pistons. #1 has some minor scoring below the rings. Probably good idea to change it out? Cylinders look like they will hone out. Gonna put my mics to it tonight. found what was the culprit, at one time anyway. plastic oil pump drive gear is bad. Probably gonna just eliminate the oil injection. Ive been mixing for years, why change now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Ha! I've got a F350 7.3 That I wouldn't trade for gold! But on another note. I got the engine torn down. All factory, no oversized pistons. #1 has some minor scoring below the rings. Probably good idea to change it out? Cylinders look like they will hone out. Gonna put my mics to it tonight. found what was the culprit, at one time anyway. plastic oil pump drive gear is bad. Probably gonna just eliminate the oil injection. Ive been mixing for years, why change now.

You have a camera. Since that gear gets kicked around here fairly often and is said to be reliable, would be nice to show what a failure looks like.

Thanks,
Mark

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for the delayed response. Block is in the shop getting bored. Crank is here with me. I'll take a pic of that chewed up gear and post it.. Good idea.