1955 Mercury Mark 5 Impeller

stumppy

Recruit
I just bought 1955 Mark 5 and need to replace the water pump. I've got the lowest section of the lower unit off but can't figure out how to remove the next section, the one that houses the impeller, It seperates from the section above it but only about an inch.
If anyone could tell me how or where I could get the information on how to do it I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Thanks, Mike

stumppy

Recruit
Is there a shift cable ?------Have you disconnected it ?
Is that the cable that comes out of the very top of the lower unit right at the base of the motor and runs through a housing/tube to the top back side of the motor ?
I should add that I haven't unhooked any kind of cable yet. The one I was referring to is attached a king of spring loaded metal lever that sits on top of the engine towards the back side. I noticed a part of that lever appears to be broken off. I'm pretty sure that lever isn't doing what it was designed for..
And by they way, thank you for responding to my post.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yes, that is the neutral cable. It needs to be disconnected at the top of the motor so you can remove the lower unit. Take care not to fray the end of the cable as you will need to thread it back into the guide tube upon reassembly.