9.8 merc model 110 ser# 4080829 cooling problem

RDP56

Cadet
motor has been sitting for several years and when I put it in a barrel it ran very rough but the pee hole stayed strong. I rebuilt the carb and put it back in barrel and it ran fine but after about 5 minutes the pee stream would get weak then strong back and forth then started to sputter then steam so I put in a new impellor every thing else looked ok to me but when I put it back in barrel no change it started out strong stream then weak then strong then sputter and mist then steam any help would sure be appreciated

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # 1 is to make sure the hose and fitting on the block are clear.-------Step # 2 is a little more involved.---------At the top of the copper water tube there is a plastic washer.--On severe overheat this washer melts and folds over the top of the tube.----It then blocks / partially blocks water flow to the power head.---Powerhead must be removed to inspect this.---Not a difficult project at all.-----The factory replacement is a better material.-----Seen this problem many times.

Last edited:

RDP56

Cadet
thank you racerone. I did blow compressed air through everything and it all seemed clear. If I need to pull power head is there a gasket to be replaced along with the washer?

Mi duckdown

Commander
running a motor in barrel will do that. you are aeriating (SP)? the water in the barrel. that is why I use a muffs

RDP56

Cadet
thank you Mi ducktown I had just heard the same thing from a local boat mechanic. I do not have muffs to fit this motor because the water pickup is under the bottom fin on the 9.8 so I will wait till I can take it to the lake. I really appreciate your reply thank you very much. PS do you know if they make muffs to fit a 9.8 merc?