Stator cables repair

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My engine is a Mercury 1150 -70, and the cables are broken off right where they disappear into the stator. Have anyone succeed in removing the plastic, and solder on new cables right to the coil wire? If so how much plastic has to be removed? What would be best, drill your way through it, or use a heat gun and melt it away?
I doubt that I can solder anything on the badly corroded cables that you see on the picture.

Attachments

• photo216480.jpg
    photo216480.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all, have you priced out a new or even a used one? If that is beyond your means, then do you have a Dremel type tool? If so you could take a very small dremel metal grinding bit and very slowly and carefully cut away the plastic/epoxy material until you get closer to the windings. Then switch to a Exacto type hobby knife and work it patiently until you clear all the material away showing the windings you need to solder too. And after getting enough winding showing, try soldering some quality wires on to solve your dilemma... If the price of a new or used one was high enough, I would certainly try it and I believe I could make it work properly again. And after soldering new wires, mix up some good epoxy and reseal it back up again like new... JMHO!

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a bad looking stator- the cracks in the epoxy covering concern me, with the corrosion that is clearly visible. You certainly could try to carefully remove some epoxy, solder on some new leads, and re-seal the area with epoxy, but no guarantee that the stator will work properly. The good news- your stator is available from CDI for about $225.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had the wires fail on my 1350 Merc. Just used a Exacto knife and folowed the old stranded wires to the solid wire of the stator. Cleaned up all the potting compound around the connection soldered new wires on and used silicon calk to seal it up. Also sealed up the bald spots on the stator. Took several beers to do the job :). That was about 10 years ago and it still is charging OK.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the wires fail on my 1350 Merc. Just used a Exacto knife and folowed the old stranded wires to the solid wire of the stator. Cleaned up all the potting compound around the connection soldered new wires on and used silicon calk to seal it up. Also sealed up the bald spots on the stator. Took several beers to do the job :). That was about 10 years ago and it still is charging OK.
Nice job. LD. Beer and silicone seem to be the answer :cheer2:

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks for the advices guys. I did actually manage to solder new wires on to the old ones, with the help of some good flux. Think my stator might live for a few more years. Result in pic below

Attachments

• photo216567.jpg
    photo216567.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the advices guys. I did actually manage to solder new wires on to the old ones, with the help of some good flux. Think my stator might live for a few more years. Result in pic below

Ha, if it works, run it 'til it doesn't. There are ways to clean copper wires of their corrosion to allow you to solder them again. A mixture of vinegar and salt. Mix those two ingredients together and once all the salt is dissolved and the vinegar can't dissolve and more, put the black corroded wires into the solution and watch the magic begin. Once the wires are clean again, put them in a baking soda solution to neutralize the vinegar and salt. Then rinse them off, dry them and they will take solder without effort... I 've actually done this a few times and it still amazes me to see how bad the wires looked, and how perfectly clean they come out! JMHO!