mercury 175 sportjet starting problem

baby5

Recruit
Hello I'm new to boating.I purchased 2003 sugar sand jet boat with mercury 175 as i read they have problems with staring after sitting for while fuel drop down and take to long to starting.CAN I SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY ADDING FUEL INLINE CHECK VALVE BEFORE FUEL TANK?

also my trottle shifter don't respond till is like half way down.is someway to adjust cable?

when engine is hot starter disengage before fully start engine.

also ssometime cold and also hot engine don't hold idle.
I already replaced stator,spark plugs and one power pack

please let me know any aadvices. Thank you

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hello I'm new to boating. I purchased 2003 sugar sand jet boat with mercury 175 as i read they have problems with staring after sitting for while fuel drop down and take to long to starting. CAN I SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY ADDING FUEL INLINE CHECK VALVE BEFORE FUEL TANK?

The older watercraft have this issue with fuel. Many have installed an inline fuel bulb like the ones you find on outboard motors. Just pump it up before you start.

also my throttle shifter don't respond till is like half way down.is someway to adjust cable?

There should be a clamp which holds the cable next to the carb. Loosen the clamp and move the cable to take up the slop. Make sure to leave some slack in the cable so it will go back to idle.

when engine is hot starter disengage before fully start engine.

also sometime cold and also hot engine don't hold idle.
I already replaced stator, spark plugs and one power pack

please let me know any advices. Thank you

My guess is you need to have your carb work/cleaned and adjusted.

And :welcome: to iboats

Dukedog

Captain
do you engage tha enrichner circuit when ya try ta start it?

baby5

Recruit
Thank you for advices
i think inline bulb is illegal with inboard engines

baby5

Recruit
When i try to i dont engage pump i'm worry about overflow carbs and don't start at all.i try to do once and work but i try to bypass this because my friend driving sometime so im want this perfect. Why not inline check valve before fuel tank?

Dukedog

Captain
ANY CARB MERC is really a pita ta start cold without using tha enrichner.........it takes a lotta fuel ta start a cold motor... tha enrichner is not a pump. its a primer solenoid that by-passes all circuits of tha carburetors.....

has anyone that knows how ta start one shown ya tha process?

tha problem is not gettin' fuel TO tha carbs... tha problem is not gettin' enough fuel inta tha cylinders ta start it........

it already has an electric pump (replaces tha pump up bulb) to get fuel to tha mechanical pump .

if tha carbs flood at any time ya gotta problem with 'em. ..that is a very low fuel pressure system that good needles/seats, properly set float will hold....

starter droppin' out is related to your "starting problem". once tha motor gets ta a certain rpm tha starter it will drop out.....whether tha motor starts or not.

Last edited: