1997 50 HP Mariner outboard no spark

pesegatto

Recruit
After leaving me stranded out on the lake near the end of the season 2014, I had some time to troubleshoot the no spark issue that gave me grief. I had absolutely no spark on all three cylinders and decided to tackle the problem myself (trying to save some money)
What helped me most is the CDI electronics troubleshooting guide. In the beginning , I assumed that I had a bad stator. Pulling the flywheel off, I inspected the stator for discolored areas or broken wires. All looked good. I then used a regular digital volt meter and to my surprise I measures that the output on the stator was above 180v ac. while cranking over the engine. Then I checked the output from the switch box and had nothing. I replaced the switch box(CDI electronics) and I got spark.
Hope this helps anyone with the same problem

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does it run good at all speeds? I had the same issue on my 90hp and blew 2 switch boxes. I had a partially shorted trigger so I changed that but still blew the 2nd box. I found a bad coil causing feedback voltage and I haven't changed that yet but I'm sure it's the culprit. Before the box went down, I would get an unstable idle at times where the cylinder with the bad coil would not work but at high speed, everything runs fine.

pesegatto

Recruit
I have spark back only. I have not put the boat to water yet, but before I do, I will I will check my coils.
I will update once checked. I am in Toronto, and its freezing here right now. Will put the boat in the water hopefully by late april