The Making of a Mechanic..

JimPavwoski

Recruit
Hello,
I'm reaching out to my fellow fishermen and others to see if I can simply ask for step by step instructions on how to rebuild my father's Mercury that I ruined. It's a 1993 Mercury 50 hp ELPTO with HORRIBLE compression. I vowed to fix and have it run like new. Bad thing is, I'm a Carpenter, not a mechanic and have NO CLUE on where to start. I'm begging someone /anyone to guide me step by step from start to finish. Will anyone please take on this journey and help guide me along the way.? Some play CandyCane Crush, some even play Farmville. How about helping a Nice Polish fella in creating a new life lesson called.. The Making of a Mechanic.. Please help..!!! I have started by taking the cowl off, that's as far as I've gotten. Tomorrow, I'll be ordering a Mercury repair manual.
Thanks ALL in advance..!!!
I was able to locate a shop to hone or bore any cylinders I may have destroyed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jim, welcome to iboats :welcome: Glad to have you aboard...

For starters, make sure the manual you purchase is the Manufacturer's Model, Year, Horse Power specific Shop Manual and not some after market manual that tries to cover so many engines but just doesn't get into the little specific issues with your engine. That IS that best place to start, a great shop manual. Without knowing what abilities you presently have, or even what tools are available, this is going to be a little challenging. However, there are tons of quality help here on iboats and if you're willing and able, there is help and suggestions to how you can accomplish your project... Before you go any further, get a good camera and start taking pictures of everything how it is sitting presently. Take pictures of every side, angle and issue you can and then post some on here so we can see what you can see. But you can't take too many picture. Believe me, they will come in very helpful down the road... Post some pictures for starters...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So how did you ruin it? If you ran it without oil, it may need more than just a cylinder/ring repair.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Like GM280 said your first step is to get the manual for your model.The others will be useless.Posting your serial# will find you the part # for your outboard.
Fixing outboards is fun but getting them apart without snapping bolts is another issue.Good luck and patience is the key.