1986 45hp merc 4cyl 2 cycle: lost high rpms

Bullwhip

Recruit
This ran fine the first time I took it out (1986 Glasstream Stinger 140). Didn't trust the auto oiler, so I removed it, put in fresh non eth gas and 2 cycle oil 50:1 mix in the can. This is really the only thing I've changed. Now the motor smokes a bit (blue smoke) but my real problem is wot....It doesn't exist anymore, the motor bogs down (as in won't speed up enough), smokes a bit and won't get the boat up on plane. It seems to idle fine. It seems eventually, the motor will "clear up" and then I can get the higher rpms. BTW, the pea stream is fine and has warm water coming out of it. Any ideas? I was wondering if disconnecting the oiler and running the gas line straight from the can somehow made it run more rich, and is there an adjustment for mixture for wot? Thanks all, first outboard, trying to learn fast!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Report the results of a compression test.-----Then test for strong spark on all 4 cylinders.---------Are both carburetors opening fully when you advance the throttle ?-------Does primer bulb go hard when you operate it ?