Mercury 9.8 Model 110

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys. I just became the proud owner of a new to me 110 9.8. And I know this topic has probably been worn out because of mercury's confusing way of identifying year models, but I am at a loss. I know they are categorized by serial number, US and Canada. I have searched every source that I know of and come up with nothing. I then thought maybe my motor had the wrong hood on it and wasn't actually a 9.8, but I can't find a matching serial number anywhere. My serial number is "lower" than any I can find. If y'all can come up with an idea of what I might have here I would really appreciate it.

Serial number--- 4080731

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks so much. So am I looking at that chart right or is the 110 model 9.8 actually rated at 11hp?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
OEM mfgrs. move numbers around to distinguish one model, in this case a 9.8 of whatever year of mfgring. from another. The 9.8 is deliberately designed and built to fit the niche market where 10 hp and up is prohibited from a certain body of water. A 10 hp engine is perfect for rental boats and such as you get good thrust but it's still light enough to carry. 9.8 satisfies all the above requirements.

Mark

NorthMsRiverRat

Seaman Apprentice
Ok that makes sense. Never thought about that. Anyway my question was answered but I'm sure it won't be the last. Thanks guys