Changing the water tube length. Can I cut it?

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
Changing from a 25" XL shaft lower unit to a 20" L shaft. It appears my last step to make the transition is the water tube length coming from the power head. It's longer due to the extra 5", so just trying to see if I'm able to cut it. Or would this be an easy replacement that I could get from a local store.. trying to get it in the water tomorrow.

Thanks! :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not knowing what it looks like, if it is merely a straight copper tube then I could see cutting it working. However if it is curved with end flairs or things like that, I would wait and buy the correct tube. But that is just my opinion... Let's see what other chime in and say!

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks for your reply. It appears to just be a regular tube, nothing special. Attached a pic of it too.

Thanks again

Attachments

• photo216271.jpg
    photo216271.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for your reply. It appears to just be a regular tube, nothing special. Attached a pic of it too.

Thanks again

Well you can look at it this way, It doesn't fit your needs now and its used. So probably not going to sell it for much of anything. So try cutting it and keep in mind that IF you cut it too short, you will be buying another one anyways. Take cuts a little at a time and see how if fits. Better to do it a little at a time then cut too short and it doesn't fit tight enough in the power head and cause temperature issues. Also make absolutely certain that the diameter is the same at the section you are going to cut as the end is presently. If there are any differences, then it won't work. JMHO...again!

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
Will do, thank you. How would I go about removing it to cut and and how far down does it fit into the water pump tube (The 3" or so plastic tube that slides into the water pump housing)?

Thanks again!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Racer67 have you actually priced out a proper length tube for what you are trying to do. It may not be that expensive to buy the exact tube you need and then there would be no issues... I don't know about your engine to tell you how far to cut it. If I were actually there I could probably figure it out. But not being there to examine both ends and how they fit, I honest can't say. Maybe others can...

Dukedog

Captain
cut it with tubing cutter...tha plastic tube is just a guide... tha copper actually seats in a rubber grommet in top of tha pump end and a grommet in tha adapter on top...

what did ya do to tha shifter rod?

Last edited: