Mercury 4 Stroke Stalls with RPM between 1000 and 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy321

Recruit
Mercury 4Stroke EFI BigFoot 50 hp 2006: The RPM vary and then the engine stalls when I try to set the RPM between 1000 and 2000. It runs great at idle and also at higher RPM. It also stalls if I decrease the RPM quickly from above 2000 to lower including idle, It does not stall when increasing RPM quickly from idle to higher than 2000. I have seen an older topic on this subject but didn't see any solutions. Has anyone found what the problem is?

GearToGo

Cadet
Any update on this? I have the same problem, 2006 60 hp EFI (non bigfoot). Replace all fuel lines, clean out the VST and fuel filters. Thinking of doing a compression test nextonce I find the adapter for the plug ports to fit my gauges.

GearToGo

Cadet
Bad head gasket, co-worker pulled the head and found it while I was out getting other parts.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
First thing is a compression test just to make sure all is good.. Then a leakdown test which will show a bad valve, head gasket, or bad ring... Once all this is done you can move to fuel and electrical testing...This is the order of things to do to save time jumping all around.....

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
You can make or buy two gauges...Don't buy the Harbor Freight unit...JUNK........The test is done at TDC with both valves closed...You are injecting into the cylinder 100lbs on the left gauge and then looking at the right gauge looking to see the number..Example, right gauge reads 90...This means 10% leakage which is acceptable for a non-high performance motor... Go to you tube and you can see the test performed...most with the harbor freight junk.....it will give you an idea of how it is done.... Compression test only gives you a number based off the rings, and won't always show a leaking intake valve, or exhaust valve in a 4 stroke motor...Be very careful while trying to hold the flywheel from spinning due to the 100psi of air being injected...It can be dangerous if you don't know what your are doing...checkout you tube.....

onur_birol

Recruit
Any update? I have the same problem, 2007 60 hp EFI bigfoot. Merc service could'nt fixed it and even find the problem..

jbcurt00

Staff member
Onur
Please dont post to topics that are inactuve, w no new posts for 90+days.

Take note of the helpful tip at the top of any forum page, and leave inactive topics inactive and for research only.

Your motor trouble may be similar, but you'll get help specific to your motor starting a topic of your own.

As in the topic you posted to this morning:

This topic is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.