1973 Mercury 110 9.8 HP shuts off WOT..?

Was out in my boat today to test a motor i got off craigslist the wires inside had liquid tape on them and they were cracking and melting but engine does not run hot ? But as I rode off from the dock I opened up the throttle and it shook and shut off. I restarted the motor and it did this again. As i kept going down the creek it would shut off if i gave it to much throttle. Getting harder and harder to restart it each time after this would happen eventually it got to where i would have to let the motor sit for a few minutes before i could restart it. It would run fine half throttle but no more or no less it would then shut off if i let it idle to shift and shut off also before i could even plane out. Any help?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It sure sounds like it's starvin' for Gas,.....

bryanzzz

Seaman
Friend of mine got a deal on exact same motor, his a 1972. Sounds like a fuel issue as already mentioned. You probably got a deal and are not interested in putting a lot of dollars into it, did a fuel tank and fuel line come with it...if so inspect both closely, may have trash in tank and fuel line / bulb issue. Buddy had to buy new tank and fuel line but when we finally got it to fire and clear out this thing runs great. Only problem he has now is water in lower unit, be sure to check yours.

i have a brand new fuel tank and line and it runs fine wot in a barrel and it ran fine one time before but the prop was spun so i wasn't moving when i opened it up to wot