Mercury outboard running temp v6 carb

robmcconnell

Cadet
Hi

I am in Australia so tired don't think this motor was sold in the states.
It's a 2001 140hp mercury v6 carb outboard.
My question is what temp should it run at. Running at between 4 and 8 knots for 15 minutes and I will see 200 farenheight on the gauge. One running it drops down to 170 F. If I stop for about 5 mins without the engine running it drops down to 130 F and then climbs back to 170F. The water is warm over here at the moment probably 77F. I am running without any thermostats and she is pumping water well.
Cheers
Rob

Dukedog

Captain
put 143* t-stats in it...stock motor needs 'em...170 is ok but max. should run less than that... water pressure?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
These engines are designed to run hotter at low speed to reduce the problem of cold fouling spark plugs. Basically, if the overheat alarm doesn't come on, you don't have a problem.

One more thing. Gauges are just an indication. For them to be 20 or 30 degrees off it not uncommon. To find the real temperature of the engine you need an IR thermometer...

But you definitely need thermostats in those engines. If you want a little more flow under 'thermostat control', then drill a 1/8" bypass hole in each thermostat.

If you have water temp of 25 at this time of the year, your Sydney/Melbourne or Perth based, yes?

Last edited:

robmcconnell

Cadet
Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I will put the thermostats back in. Yes Achris I am in Sydney, Pittwater area if you know it.

Cheers
Rob

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I will put the thermostats back in. Yes Achris I am in Sydney, Pittwater area if you know it.

Cheers
Rob

Although I'm in Perth, I do know the Pittwater area, very nice too.... You fish the Hawkesbury?

Last edited: