25hp 4 stroke bigfoot mariner won't start.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A neighbour has asked me to help him with his motor, as he can't get it to start. Oddly i can't find a serial number on it. It's a 25hp BF is all i can really say.

The motor struggles to start, when i press in the key but i can't hear the enrichment valve (?) click, and when i added 12v to it, i still didn't get a click.

If it does start it'll only go for 1/2 - 1 sec, it won't go any longer so i'm thinking it's a fuel prob. Got good spark, a full battery.

should i even hear a click?? i put a test light on the wires to the valve and got nothing, when i push in the key , but if i try to start the motor, i get a light. So i am a bit stumped, is the power coming from somewhere else ??

Can someone explain how the valve works, and what steps i should take next , i don't want to rip parts off the guys motor but I will strip the carbs if needed. Am used to 2 stroke OMC's mainly, so not too afraid to dig deep on this.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ok so am still stuck here.

The enrichment valve i believe is temp related and only powered when the flywheel turns, so there is no click when the key is pushed. once the temp is reached is shuts and there for closes off the 'choke' function.
Anyway, i removed the carb and gave it a good clean, jets and all but still the engine won't start.
I guess i borrow a timing light and see if there is a spark to the plugs. Seeing as i def am getting fuel, this must be the next step.