1969 Merc 7.5 hp pee hole?

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 1969 Kiekhaefer Merc75 7.5hp 2 stroke red stripe motor serial no. 2535229 from Toronto, if that helps any. The motor hadn't run for over 10 years, yet it started up fairly easily, but there was no pee coming from anywhere. I took it in to a local marina repair shop for them to fix it as I didn't really have time. They said the impeller had burned up so they replaced that and other parts of the water pump. When I got it back the motor ran great with pee coming out, but I cant remember where, as it was a while ago. Then recently I decided to try it out again, but with only a little water and exhaust spitting out the front of the motor from the middle hole of three rectangular holes directly under the bottom cowl. I took off the lower unit to check if the impeller had gone, but it functioned properly. I took off the powerhead to check for a clogged water tube, only to find a bit of dirt. The yellowish seal connecting the engine block and water tube was slightly misshapen, but no other real problem. Taking off the powerhead only raised more questions as to where the water went after cooling the engine, and how it gets out to the tell-tale hole. I blew compressed air up the suspected tell-tale hole, but I could not feel any air coming out anywhere. There is another small hole right beside the "flush" screw on the side of the motor right under the bottom cowl that could also be a tell-tale hole as I blew compressed air up that hole to feel a little air coming out from a small hole on the engine block. Maybe the hole is blocked somewhere? Any help on where this pee hole is and how to access it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1558_zpsd8a3e1c7.jpgIMG_1834_zpsb5f18537.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1558_zpsd8a3e1c7.jpg
    IMG_1558_zpsd8a3e1c7.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
    IMG_1558_zpsd8a3e1c7.jpg
    IMG_1558_zpsd8a3e1c7.jpg
  • IMG_1834_zpsb5f18537.jpg
    IMG_1834_zpsb5f18537.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You said you located the pee exit point. Just follow the hose back to the engine to the hose barb connected to the engine block, t stat, or exhaust manifold water jacket usually, where ever it connects. Remove the hose barb and with a small wire, while the engine is running on muffs, probe the threads where the barb mounts and see if you can get water to come out. If so, fine, blow air back from the barb to the pee outlet and you should be good to go.

Mark

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I know what you're talking about but the motor does not have a water hose to said pee hole.. But then again I have not really looked for one so the next time I'll try to find a hose

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yes I know what you're talking about but the motor does not have a water hose to said pee hole.. But then again I have not really looked for one so the next time I'll try to find a hose

That is what I was thinking in the first place. I don't know when tell tales came about on those engines but I was thinking your year model was a little early. Are you sure the hole you think is that actually is or could it be something else. Makes no sense to me if no hose is connected. If the hose rotted off and someone just discarded it then you would have an open hose barb peeing all over the inside of the cowling. Otherwise PO removed the barb and plugged the hole. Makes no sense to me. Picking up a new hose would have been a lot easier.

Mark

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know there was pee coming out when I did take it out, but I can't remember where as the last time I started it up water was spitting out of the small rectangular hole on the front but no where else, yet I think when I took it out it was coming out of the shifter side just below the lower cowl.. When I removed the Powerhead I don't recall removing any hoses either so the pee exit must be somewhere on the engine block..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In your picture you look to the left of the tube that feeds water to the block.--------That may lead to the " pisser "..-----They plugged up easily

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have found out that the hole beside the water uptake tube is the hole for flushing, and as well I discovered the hole just above and to the right of the driveshaft hole is the one that leads to the pee hole, which is on the side of the engine below the lower cowl, beside the flush screw. But it still doesn't answer the question on how water and exhaust was able to spit out that small rectangular hole on the front of the motor..

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
You may want to get a manual for the motor to help figure it out. Also go back to the chap who replaced the water pump parts and ask him.

clueless75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE: It has been a while since I first posted this but I have learned so much since then. The motor now runs well with water flowing out well of the side of the motor, in a little hole beside the flush screw. The middle rectangular hole on the front is designed for exhaust as a little comes out that way along with a little water. Everything works well now with no problems. Thanks to everyone who offered support!

Cheers,
Jake