1982 Mariner Tilt trim cyllinder fluid refill

cc93cruiser

Cadet
So I have identified the leak on my tilt trim cylinder from my 1982 80hp Mariner.. I know I have to replace the o rings once I remove the spanner nut, but was just wondering how to refill cylinder.. I have a couple pics which I believe shows the 2 different plugs. I just don't know which one is the fill plug.. Also, I am wondering if there is some type of bleeding procedure or do I simply add hydraulic fluid to cylinder plug and cycle up and down the tilt trim and remove plug, check the fluid each time to check for air bubbles/level of fluid? Sorry for all the questions, but need some help........... I can't find any tilt trim cylinder rebuild kit, so I guess I am buying a o ring set and hope I get one of the correct size needed- or can someone point me to a part number for a rebuild kit? Thanks in advance everyone...
e5fe5s.jpg

23saq1.jpg

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Not fill plug. Bleed plug. Probably won't have to mess with them. Just fill at pump and operate up and down adding oil to pump as needed. You will most likely get all the air out that way. Though I did read somewhere about a complicated procedure to bleed them using the bleed plugs. I did mine after replacing one of the cylinders by just operating it up and down a few times and that worked just fine.

cc93cruiser

Cadet
Not fill plug. Bleed plug. Probably won't have to mess with them. Just fill at pump and operate up and down adding oil to pump as needed. You will most likely get all the air out that way. Though I did read somewhere about a complicated procedure to bleed them using the bleed plugs. I did mine after replacing one of the cylinders by just operating it up and down a few times and that worked just fine.
Where do you fill on the pump? I know the pump is in the boat..... What kit/o rings did you use to rebuild cylinder?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Didn't rebuild, bought a used one at Ebay that didn't leak. Think it was about $80 with shipping. There is a big screw on top of the pump body, used a small funnel from the kitchen (Shhhhhhhhhhh)

cc93cruiser

Cadet
Thanks for the help! Bought an O ring set from Amazon along with hydraulic fluid..Hopefully I am able to match the couple or so O rings... Ill report back..

82stump

Recruit
Thanks for the response. I did some research and found a part number. There's a guy on ebay selling them for $4 with free shipping.

-Stump