I have issue with my 1996 40 hp Merc Manual

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
I have this manual in my computer and I for got how to get into the sections I need to view, all I get is section 1 and I know there is a simple trick to get into the other sections but at 76 that part of the brain is failing me HELP PLEASE

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you need some thing that reads a PDF file, then double click the file.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
I double click to open it but it opens to section one which is general information and specifications, i know there whole manual is there but I forgot how to open the rest of the manual.
I have a water leak between the power head and the mid section and I want to remove the lower section to replace the water pump impeller and also the mod section to replace that gasket and I need to know how to do that. Every time in the past I worked on this motor I printed out the part of a section I needed so I know the manual is there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bill - where did you get the manual? May be one of us can look to see how to view the other sections.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
I got the manual on here from a member that sent me a link to download it was for the exact motor I have, not one on those fits everything manual

Fun Times

Staff member
If you're using the manual from 1manuals.com, open the first page, then scroll down to the Service Manual Outline. As long as your computer is set up with the correct adobe function to open the sections, You'd find the sections should be highlighted in red. If so, Click on the red lettered (A, B, C etc.) section you want to read. If you don't have the right adobe function, the highlighted red will be black and you'll be unable to open and read them. In the past, I've noticed that some members are able to open and read them while others are not able to.

I am unsure of the correct adobe function needed to make it work though. My main computer will open them while my laptop will not. Here's an example, http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/830234r3/cover.pdf

Good luck.:)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If there is a file in the directory (folder) called 'Cover.pdf', click on that one, it's the index file and should link you to the other files...

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
The manual is in my other PC it is a windows unit, I am starting it up now. I have looked at the whole manual in the pst and printed many pages and sub chapters from it, I just don;t recall how I did it

Last edited:

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
If there is a file in the directory (folder) called 'Cover.pdf', click on that one, it's the index file and should link you to the other files...

I Cannot find anything like that, I think I can send the file, it's an Adobe Acrobat Document 328KB to this computer and then to someone who can figure out

achris

Load it up to a sharing site (Google docs is a good one) and PM the link to me... DO NOT post the link 'in the open', it's against the forum rules... ;)

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Load it up to a sharing site (Google docs is a good one) and PM the link to me... DO NOT post the link 'in the open', it's against the forum rules... ;)

I tried to send the link to my other computer, no luck, or no skill doing that

Fed

Commander
The individual files you are looking for are named the same as the sections in the cover.pdf file.
1a.pdf, 1b.pdf, 1c.pdf etc.

So if you hit Start-->Search-->For files or Folders on your computer and search for 1a.pdf you should find it's location along with all the other ones.

achris

ok. I need to know a little more about your engine. Can you provide a serial number? Or at least tell me if it's a 2, 3 or 4 cyl?

Thanks....
(read between the lines ;) )

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Ok The serial number is OG554810, I found that number stamped on a freeze plug behind the ignition box..It is a 4 cylinder, 2 stroke, oil injected, 40 hp motor
I need the instructions to remove the powerhead.
Also want to know what is behind the head panel and the left side, side panel such as channels for cooling water. the tube for the pee tube comes from the very top of what looks like the cylinder head, this pee tube water is steaming hot and that cannot be right
I plan to change the water pump impeller. get a couple carb kits, and change the gaskets below the power head as I have a water leak there.

am gonna try that start-->Search-->for files and see what I can find if anything