merc black max 135 verification

waterdogg2

Cadet
hello: have recently purchased a 1994 Livingston Viking 19 foot cuddy cabin. Came with a mercury Black Max 135. I am unable to locate any serial or model numbers on the engine itself, there are no tags or stickers or plates with any information on it. Am I missing something, am I not looking in the right place. Have taken a flashlight all across the block and over the heads. The only number I have found on the block is "12 4 95" and on the heads themselves is "18787-c2". Have been pouring thru numerous threads trying to locate others with this dilemma but to no avail. #2- when running in my driveway with ears on it, the water comes out of the telltale intermittently and the port head is DEFINITELY hotter than starboard head. Only let it run a few minutes. Am ordering parts to replace t-stats, poppet and all hoses attached to those items, but CANNOT locate model/serial # to ensure like for like replacement. Live in the northwest with boat outside so taking parts off and leaving disassembled is not an option. #3- how hard is it to remove lower cowls? I can see three bolts which appear to be all there is. My last boat was a lot smaller in every aspect, so to me this is ALOT of boat to maintain. Just don't wanna go nail halibut in neah bay and have my day get whacked out by a $2 part that I didn't catch while wrenching on it. Average or a Lil' above mechanical skills. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Dukedog

Captain
tha only place on tha block will be on tha "welsh plug" . looks like a freeze plug. on top, port side kinda. if tha 12 4 95 is on port side somewhere around base of # 2 cyl. on block half its gonna be tha "build date". that date will actually make it a '96 model as for as paper work goes. if its a "factory replacement" power head it won't have a serial number and next to impossible ta track down.......

as for as your "heat problem", start with a complete OEM water pump kit.........

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Look on top of the starboard side bank of cylinders. There will be a round plug the size of a quarter or so pressed in place . Thats where the serial numbers are.

waterdogg2

Cadet
Thank you folks, will start looking now that I have a narrowed area to search. Will keep posts coming with questions and pics

waterdogg2

Cadet
well got the t-stats replaced, searched for the quarter sized plug on top of the starboard bank of cylinders. found the spot, but the tag is gone, just a spot where it is supposed to be. picked up the poppet valve. the guy at the merc outboard place advised me that if the seating gasket or donut that the poppet valve actually sits in doesn't "really" have to come out. although the new one came with the kit itself. are they hard to get outta the block? possible block damage by doing so? just trying to line up whos who with this engine, if that makes sense. The oil injection unit has been removed. Have talked with other folks who own the 150 model and they have "beeps" that occur when key is turned to the "on" position, mine makes no sound unless i engage the choke, then it is just your standard click of the choke. Is no beep good? thank you....

waterdogg2

Cadet
and yes Dukedog the date stamped of 12 4 95 is at the base of the #2 cylinder, you are correct on the year, thank you.........