1978 tower of power 1150

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
My new to me motor would not idle and hard to start, so I bought a new set of carb kits to rebuild all three, but as I got in to the rebuild the main jets were dogged up so bad on #2 and the idle jet looked like the main and with no grove left on the main to remove it I went on line and bought 3 new to me carbs. The ones I bought I rebuilt them and they idle fine at the water hose, and the engine starts great:joyous:. The carbs I removed were WMK26 and I replaced them with WMK22 does anyone know if this make a big difference. Thanks Tex51.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, you should have been able to clean out the jets, without removing them. I assume they are side bowl carbs. In that case, there is a hex bolt over the main jet and a brass plug covering the idle restrictor tube. You must make sure to remove the idle mixture screw and clean the idle circuit, including the three pinholes in the carb throat. Blast them out with spray carb cleaner. Wear safety glasses to keep that solvent out of your eyes.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
You are right I could not remove them. The previous owner tried and broke the screw driver slots off the jets and all I could see is the brass threaded part that screws into the carb. They are side bowl carbs. I bought the other 3 carbs on ebay with linkage for $100.00 and no one has worked on them. I did remove all the working parts and put them in my carb soak tank and cleaned them and blew them out with my air compressor. I did not know about switching them out with different number carbs but they seam to work. When the lakes thaw and I can get the boat in the liquid water and run wot then I will know if my purchase was worth it. Thank you for the advice and I will definitely use it on my new to me carbs.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
I have learned that the 1150 Merc Tower of power WMK-26 carbs should have had .072 Main Jets and ,098 Vent Jets. Mine had .074 main Jets and .096 vent jets. I purchased WMK-22 carbs off ebay that turned out to be for a 1500 tower of power and mine ran about as fast as a trolling motor with a dead battery with these carbs. I have purchased some .072 Main Jets and .096 vent Jets. Hopefully my motor will go faster than 7 miles per hour.:lol:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The vents don't matter as you can actually remove them. I doubt the jets will fix it as the carb bodies are the same, just the cast in emulsion tubes are different sizes....

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so what are the emulsion tubes. Where would you start if your trolling motor would out run your 115hp motor. This motor idles great and will go 5 or 6 miles per hr with no problem, but don't give it any gas or it falls flat on its face. My boat is 16ft long and weight is 750lbs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Emulsion tubes are the cast in brass tubes in carb. If its falling on it face that lack of fuel, check sync and link and open idle mixture screw 1/4 turn and re test. If to rich it will plane out but doggy in midrange and top end.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
ok, Thanks I will give it a try. This motor is costing a little more than planed.