2 problems with my 2008 SunTracker fishin barge 21

midnyte

Cadet
A little history before my probs. Bought my pontoon is Dec.2014 went out with the seller on lake Ivey near Coleman TX for a test ride. (seller is a friend of mine) Outbound boat ran great, faster than I was comfortable with. Stopped and talked with a fisherman for about 10 mins. then started back. On way in started getting a 4 beep warning seller said the store where we had just fueled boat had a history of water in gas and thought that was the issue. Then the boat started to stall when ever rpms got over 4000. ( mercury optimax 90 hp) as long as the rpm stayed at 3500 or less it ran fine. I towed boat back to Abilene Tracker dealer and they said they fixed it and seller paid the bill. ($127 and all they did is replace fuel filter).
I paid the seller for the boat but it sat in my drive for 6 weeks due to bad weather conditions. Last weekend I was finally able to take it out on the local lake, and guess what it is doing the exact same thing. Here are the issues
(1) 4 beep alarm. I am going to pull the cowel off and disconnect the low oil sensor and see if that helps.
(2) Fuel starvation. Nothing I can do in the driveway,boat has to be under a load. Runs fine at all rpms with earmuffs.So any advice I can get on what I can checkout with boat out of the water would be much appreciated. Don't think I can get back out on the lake for awhile. Even though I live in Abilene Tx it still gets cold in January and February.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I suspect you'll get a better and quicker response if you post this on the forum for your engine, rather than on this generic pontoon forum. Good luck.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would get some outboard motor flushers, put them over the inlet on the motor, and attach a hose to them and run the motor in my driveway so I could work on it there

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
I probably would have gone for the fuel filter as well. If when changing it, I found that it had been fouled with water, I would have wondered if there were more where that came from? My bet is that thought didn't occur to the tech that worked on your boat.

Check the filter again. If there's water droplets on/in it, you're going to need to make arrangements to get the water out of your gas tank before putting ANOTHER filter in it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Mid. Moved this to the Merc outboard forum for you.

midnyte

Cadet
Well,tried to confirm 4 beep every 2 mins. But cold not figure out were the wires are located for low oil sensor. Oil tank is huge and fills the entire front of engine compartment