1972 Merc 9.8 water in lower unit

bryanzzz

Seaman
Guys, buddy has an older 9.8 hp Merc model 110, recently purchased, pulled lower unit drain plug and 99% water. Is replacing the packing on prop shaft something a couple of..."decent shade tree mechanics can do?" Is there a kit that we can purchase? Any special tools need...we have hammers, pliers, and a Miller welder?! Thanks fellow floaters...boaters.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of course you can do it. With an engine that old, there may not be a rebuilt kit, I don't know without researching it. BUT, am pretty sure the bearings and seals will still be available being how most engine manufacturers used standard off the shelf bearings and seals. It helped keep manufacturing cost down. You can type in your model number and see what is available, even on here at iboats. And you will probably also find a parts break down to aid in your effort too...

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say replace the seals on the prop shaft if fishing line gets wrapped in behind the prop many times will trash the seals.
You may need to replace the seals on the shift shaft at top of the lower unit and the drive shaft where it goes through below the water pump. Also if make sure there were seals on the drain screw and vent screws. After you seal it up and before you put oil in it might try putting it in a water tank and see if you have any bubbles showing where the leak is.
Doug

bryanzzz

Seaman
Great advice guys, was thinking prop shaft seal but could be shift or drive shaft like mentioned. When buddy brought motor home he noticed gear oil around prop, think next move would be to pressurize and look for bubbles. Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
At that age the drive-shaft is likely to be steel, not SS. If that's the case the shafts rust around the seal area. The only fix is to fully disassemble the gearbox and repair or replace the shaft... Not worth the value of the engine...

bryanzzz

Seaman
Good advice, best reason I'm not a fan of used outboards. $200 for motor, $90 or so for new tank and fuel line. Think we will pressure test, worst case if we can't replace seals, squirt some grease in lower unit ...drain water first... go after the crappie....squirt grease in lower unit....rig cranks on second pull....drain water add grease...used mower oil...anything that looks like lube....have fun! Trying to think positive...bud has a pontoon for backup, bought me a new boat in May...