Stripped Thread on One of Water Pump Mounting Holes - Helicoil?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Looks good, I'm sure it will work out fine. Another option.....

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/carbonSteel.html

At this time I'm kind of committed to the Helicoil (hole drilled and threaded for coil). The threaded inserts might be an option if I screw up the coil installation (assuming they require a slightly larger hole than the Helicoil). Hopefully won't have to go there for this job.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Wouldn't you know - the bottoming tap came yesterday just after I'd shut down operations for the day. Had a little time today, so, first thing, verified that the bottoming tap fit the previously tapped test hole. It did.

Then, using my 1/2" plate "guide" drilled out the hole. The Helicoil kit specified 1/4" (6.35 mm) drill. On their site, however, they suggested a 6.25 mm drill for aluminum. Closest I could find was a "D" drill at 0.246" (6.2484 mm). However, my local hardware store didn't have that size, so, I went with the 1/4" drill that I had (can't believe 0.004" will make much of a difference anyways).

First photo - point of no return - drilling the hole, through the "guide". Worked perfectly.

Then re-drilled my pilot hole to just fit the Helicoil tap. Second photo shows the tap in the guide with my "cheapo" low clearance tap wrench. Had to clear the drive shaft so found a hose faucet handle with a square hole that just fit the tap. Just had to grind about 1/16" from the "nubs" around the circumference to get the clearance. Thought I'd only use it to start the threading, but, was able to run the tap all the way to the bottom using it. Switched to the bottoming tap and, again, able to run it all the way to the bottom with my improvised wrench.

Tomorrow, if I have time around the Super Bowl festivities, I'll insert the coil. After a lot more reading on thread sealants for Helicoils, with input all over the map, I'm now thinking of using the Loctite Blue, which I already have.

Used coils for years in industry. Never had to glue in a coil. But if you choose, blue for removable and red for one time installation which would in my opinion apply to a coil. Just remember to take a punch and stick it down into the coil, after installation, and give it a bang to break the tang (that allowed you to insert the coil) off. If you don't and your screw extends down and through the bottom of the coil it WILL screw up the threads on your screw/bolt.

Danielcan

Cadet
At this time I'm kind of committed to the Helicoil (hole drilled and threaded for coil). The threaded inserts might be an option if I screw up the coil installation (assuming they require a slightly larger hole than the Helicoil). Hopefully won't have to go there for this job.

They do require a larger hole, the idea of it is you can use the same bolt.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Finished up this pm. All went well. Beeswax on the drill and taps pulled out almost all the chips. Got the remaining stuff with a Q-tip dipped in beeswax.

Spent a lot of time reading up on just how to use the "pre-winder." Wasted time. It wouldn't fit over the hole because of the way the casting was recessed to accommodate the water pump base. Anyways, no problem. Dabbed the coil with some Permatex Blue Threadblocker and it screwed right in. Used a punch to knock off the tang - had a little beeswax on the punch from gauging the hole - the tang stuck to the bottom of the punch and came right out.

I'll put the whole thing together tomorrow and fire it up to make sure it actually pumps. Assuming all is well, that will close out my one hour job - in a little short of a month :(

Another job completed with a big assist from you guys on the board.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Finished up this pm. All went well. Beeswax on the drill and taps pulled out almost all the chips. Got the remaining stuff with a Q-tip dipped in beeswax.

Spent a lot of time reading up on just how to use the "pre-winder." Wasted time. It wouldn't fit over the hole because of the way the casting was recessed to accommodate the water pump base. Anyways, no problem. Dabbed the coil with some Permatex Blue Threadblocker and it screwed right in. Used a punch to knock off the tang - had a little beeswax on the punch from gauging the hole - the tang stuck to the bottom of the punch and came right out.

I'll put the whole thing together tomorrow and fire it up to make sure it actually pumps. Assuming all is well, that will close out my one hour job - in a little short of a month :(

Another job completed with a big assist from you guys on the board.

Bravo there minuteman, I knew you would do it correct. You seem to have that type personality just from the few posts I've read on here from you... Keep us informed! :thumb: :thumb: