1982 80hp Mercury Mariner Parts Help

cc93cruiser

Cadet
Hello there first post here so sorry in advance if I use the wrong part name or if questions seem stupid no sense..Ok no that I wrote my disclaimer (ha), I was wondering if I can get some help as to were I can purchase some seals gaskets for a couple different areas that my outboard needs attention.. It is a 1982 80hp Mercury Mariner with a power tilt trim...I have a pic of one of the seal/o ring I need.. I believe it is called the strainer cover gasket.. Its a o ring that has failed and every time I pump the bulp to prime the engine fuel leaks from this area..
66xie9.jpg
The other area that I have problems with is the lower Unit.. I turned on motor and immediately noticed that the motor wasen't spittin out water.. I turned it off and noticed that the holes on the bottom of the lower unit where the water enters there was rubber bits inside the holes. I am not sure if the impeller failed and fell towards the bottom of the lower unit (is that even possible) or is there a seal down there that failed.. Bottom line is that the motor is not spitting out the water and the lower unit has to be taken apart for a new impeller.. Here is a pic of the holes I am taking about where the rubber are in.. In the same pic you can see my last problem also.. There is hydraulic fluid leaking from one of the tilt trim cylinders .. I basically need a o ring kit to rebuild in there..
nfl7hh.jpg

Guys I have been on my computer for the last 3 hrs without any luck on part number for impeller kit or tilt trim cylinder o ring kit.. I also need a part number for the o ring in the motor.. Any help would be much appreciated .. This is a good running motor and I don't want to lose faith or interest in it.. Please help.. Thanks in advance...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not sure why you are having problems , as this is a Mercury motor with a grey paint job.----Parts are everywhere.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The first Oring should be able to be had in a fuel pump rebuild kit.

Pieces of a failed impeller can fall down into the water intake area. It would be best to replace the impeller, wearplate and two gaskets. Sine you will likely need to remove the water pump base, clean the driveshaft of all rust and lubricate it before removing the pump base. That should help preserve the driveshaft seal in the pump base. It is better to replace the pump base, as it will have a new seal. Use a new base gasket and a new oring. Both should come in a kit.

There should be reseal kits for the PTT cylinders. However, if you remove the piston from the cylinder, it will be hard to reinstall it. Sometimes the cylinders are removeable with the piston still inside them. Then unbolt the piston from the trim rod, pull the rod out of the cap and replace the wiper and Oring in the cap.

Finding parts will be easier if you look for Merc parts for the same year and HP as your motor.

cc93cruiser

Cadet
Thanks for all the input guys.. I ordered all gaskets seals plus water pump impeller kit... the only problem I have now is that the tilt trim is stuck in the lower position.. I have seen that these tilt trims have a manual release screw on the side of the tilt trim.. I can't seem to find it in mine... Anyone know the location on this 1982 version..?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is it inside the boat ?-----Have you looked for the motor / pump / reservoir inside the boat ?

cc93cruiser

Cadet
No I have not... Wasn't sure it could be in the inside of boat... Do you know what I should look for?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I doubt you will miss the PTT pump/reservoir. Follow the 4 hydraulic lines. It is the size of a jumbo loaf of bread, standing on it's end.

cc93cruiser

Cadet
Ok yea I know where that's located.. What should I look for a release valve or screw? Once I find it just give it a couple turns?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There should be a knurled knob on the base of the PTT unit. Turn it all the way CW. The motor will still be hard to tilt by hand.

cc93cruiser

Cadet
Thanks for the input... I am going to mess with all this when my seals gaskets and impeller kit comes in... I'll report back... Thanks all