Mercury difficult to turn left and right (steering)

briaineo

Seaman
Hi

I have an old 1974 Mercury 402 which has become difficult (very stiff) to turn left or right.

What happened was the motor was stored on the back of the boat and the cover was leaking of which i was unaware.

I disconnected the steering linkage to the steering wheel and with just the motor on the back of the boat it is difficult to push the motor to the left or right by hand.

Any ideas on how to get her steering freely again?

thanks

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First thing you need to do is determine if the stiff steering is the actual motor OR the cable from the steering wheel. Once you determine that, then look for a fix. Most engines have an adjustment to stiffen or loosen the steering. If that adjustment doesn't help, then it has to be the cable itself. I leaning towards the cable...

briaineo

Seaman
Hi gm280

I disconnected all the steering cables, only the outboard sitting on back of boat with nothing at all connected; and is very stiff to push left or right by hand.

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1

if that doesnt work, you will need to pull the pivot assembly apart and clean out the corrosion.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those swivel brackets generally have bushings on top and bottom. As you pump grease into it, the grease will exit the bushing that is gliding smoothly. If you can get grease to exit top and bottom, the motor should free up.