Converting 2001 Mercury Salt Water Series from 2 cylinder idle to 4 cylinder idle?

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2002 Mercury 115HP Salt Water series outboard (four cylinder, quad carby, oil injection, 2 stroke). My biggest complaint with the motor is that it idles on only two cylinders (this a Mercury system - not an engine fault) which results in both a rough idle and rough take off when accelerating hard (such as for water sports). I am uncertain what system causes it to idle on only two cylinders and am wondering if anyone on here knows and ideally knows if it can be converted to idle on all four cylinders?

IMG_3004_zps60a76bc3.jpg
IMG_3005_zps0144073a.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Nope wont work,been tried and no success as engine will shake its self apart.(search this site) The bottom carbs will not cause a rough idle, it is set up. When correct they idle very well and no bogg unless heavily loaded which is cured by stepping down prop size for water sports

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Been stated on here if the engine is setup properly, you don't know when #3 and 4 arrive. I had the 3 cyl not the 4 which wasn't setup like the 2+2, but I also had the 115 I6 tower and an 85 I4 and I do like lots of cylinders idling. That tower was just like a sewing machine......well it was equivalent to a 12 cylinder V 4 stroker like in the old 1949 Lincon Zephyr which was said to be smooth as silk.

Agree on Fazt's comment on pitch.

Mark

Last edited: