1982 Mercury Black Max Charging problem

lk93

Cadet
I got my 82 Blackmax 150 hp out today and ran it on the muffs. When I flipped on the power to the gauges the voltage read 17. A further test with my multimeter also said 16 or 17 volts. When I last used it in October it charged a regular 13 or 14 volts. I know there are several different electrical components what do you recommend I try or replace. If something can be fixed I would rather go that route, however I my guess is that is not possible.

Thanks,
Lee

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
So whats your problem? Check your electrolyte level in your battery. Call it a day.The stator is charging the battery and it seems high because the battery is partially discharged. You dont have or really need a regulator.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Make sure all battery wires are clean and tight at both ends too. This is pretty common with an unregulated system.

lk93

Cadet
The battery should have been fully charged. It was on the charger all night. Would the cold weather have any effect? The problem is that the motor is supplying 16 volts to electronics that are designed for 12-14 volts.

lk93

Cadet
After checking, the humminbird unit I have is rated for 10-20 volts so that should not be a problem. The only other electronics I have are pumps and lights. They will just run faster and be brighter. I just saw the gauge pegged and got worried. Thanks for your help.

Lee

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Unregulated systems do that. If it bothers you you can add a regulator but the system is acting like it was designed. Its hard to do much overcharging with a 9-16 amp system.