1994 mercury 200hp black max

joshgar8

Seaman
Hey guys, I just got me a 1994 200hp black max 2.5L. Does this engine have a mercury safety switch on it to shut it down incase it ends up in the boat? If so where is it located? I'm am trying to work my way through this engine and want to make sure if equipped all safety devices are in working order. Thanks, Josh

joshgar8

Seaman
Wired, thanks for your reply. That wasn't exactly what I was wanting to hear but atleast now I know. I searched on it everywhere and couldn't locate it. Now I know why! I have a few more questions regarding this engine but I will start a new topic, it's dealing with the oil system delete. Thanks again man.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
I think it just became less of an issue when Mercury went away from screw on "clamps" and started using bolts through the transom. The chance of the motor coming lose from the transom went down to close to zero although I have seen some pretty ratty transoms over the years. I won't lie about it. Iv'e hopped in the boat and fired up the motor with it tilted up all the way on a few occasions. One of those things you can do with EFI.

joshgar8

Seaman
I never thought about the change over from the clamps to the 1/2" bolts. It would also be hard to pull the 1/2" transom plates through the transom. The boat this motor came off of made me nervous bringing it home on the trailer. Talk about rotten! It's not a efi so it wouldn't run like the efi's trimmed way up. Thanks again for your info wired!

Dukedog

Captain
Merc did have a "mercury switch" (not tha lanyard kill switch) that would kill ign if angle got to extreme from '76 ta '91 I think mostly for "accidental start" trimed outta water.......Good for drunks and 'ole guys like me.........Don't know why it went away?

Last edited:

joshgar8

Seaman
Jerry,

The boat does have a kill switch installed. Without running a hot foot that goes back to idle I wouldn't run a boat without a kill switch. I was concerned about hitting a log or something at a higher speed causing that engine spinning at 6,000 rpm to end up in the seat with me. The kill switch wouldnt help in that situation unless the prop knocked me out of the boat😧 Thinking like I have in the past with all the inlines I have ran I never thought about how strong the newer motors mount to the transom and how much stronger it is over the old inline clamps where you find all the mercury switches. Opening my eyes to those four 1/2" stainless bolts makes the mercury switch seem unnecessary now.