Changing Oil reservoir on Mercury 2005 50hp 2stroke

Beez

Recruit
I changed the oil resivoir due to it being cracked. I emptied the old tank and found water in it. I put the new tank on and filled half way with oil. After starting the motor I noticed that the exhaust smoked intermittently. I guess that it did get some oil. The questions I have are:
1. Was I suppose to prime the oil pump? If so, how do I do that?
2. I did noticed that oil would flow backward into the tank. Is that normal? The last thing I need is a burnt engine. I never heard an alarm and I felt the engine and it never got hot.
3. Is it possible I hurt the engine?

Any help would be great.

Beez

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Get a manual or subscribe to the Seloc online manuals....look at the upper right corner of the page here. The manual tells you how to bleed your oil system. I no longer have my manual and have forgotten the process.

Next is put 1 pt of oil into 6 gallons of gas (1:50) until you get this figured out to save your engine if in doubt which is what I would do.

After you get things sorted out and you are sure your pump is delivering oil....check tank level dropping in a reasonable manner, then you can quit putting oil in the gas. If you use Pennzoil semi syn. TC-W3 rated oil your engine won't smoke all that much even though when the oiler is working you will be dumping 2x the oil in the gas. If you are worried about it when the dust settles, run some Sea Foam in the gas per directions on the can and change your plugs. Auto parts stores carry it as does WM.

Mark.

Beez

Recruit
Thank you Mark. I will do just that. I have been fortunate and have not had any issues since I purchased the boat.

Thank you again.

Beez

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
The answer to your question is YES you have to bleed the pump...You must put oil in the tank while you are doing this as your motor is sucking air and not oil...what you saw was residue...And YES you can damage your engine..DID YOU-probably not......There is a bleed screw on every oil pump to bleed the system..on my Suzuki it gets real tricky as their are 6 lines coming off the oil pump... It took a long time with double oiling to get the oil pump bled...Yours is easy....it has to be done anytime air is introduced into the system such as what you did...