Trim solenoid clicking up and down.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Had this problem before and cleaned all solenoid connections.Worked for me last time,not this time.My question is if clicking at solenoid when using throttle remote switch,doesnt that mean switch is good and sending power?,...or will a dirty switch still send power to solenoid.?? Battery fully charged.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
solenoid bad -usually!!--- u can jump the solenoid with batt cables to test -also yet i believe its a standard ford type solenoid?? cheap! the solenoids will wear inside on the contact plate & give u this symptom- no repair -replace. Make SURE!! Batt is fully charged!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Most current engines have a TT switch on the engine; my Merc was on the Starboard side. If you have one and that switch works ok and the control switch doesn't you have your smoking gun. Otherwise the Doc is on it but it could be relays (with the same problem) and not a solenoid(s) on some engines. Guess yours is solenoids. The plate in the solenoid gets pitted with usage and can't curry the necessary current.

Mark

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks guys.Down now working and did voltage checks proving up solenoid defective.Before I buy could I swap up wiring (blue ) to good solenoid (down) just to make sure its the solenoid....im guessing it will work.
Also got part # from Crowley marine and on ebay some describe as starter solenoid...Are they the same???
I will be replacing both UP and DOWN Solenoid to be safe.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yes on engines that use solenoids and not relays usually it makes sense to use common parts. Solenoids usually have larger contact areas and hold up longer than relays.

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
With a bad connection, voltage will be there but current can't flow. Using a 12V test light, it should light up on one of the big contact poles. Activate that solenoid and see if you still have power there. When activated, you should have power on the other big pole as well.

Dukedog

Captain
Thanks guys.Down now working and did voltage checks proving up solenoid defective.Before I buy could I swap up wiring (blue ) to good solenoid (down) just to make sure its the solenoid....im guessing it will work.
Also got part # from Crowley marine and on ebay some describe as starter solenoid...Are they the same???
I will be replacing both UP and DOWN Solenoid to be safe.

Amperage rating and mounting is what ya look at. Ya may end up doin' some "fab" work in mount department!.......... Trim and starter sol. sometimes differ in that area.

Last edited:

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got new solenoids from crowley marine.fitted and now working.Thanks for your help.