06 Mercury 4 Stroke Intake Manifold Solenoid Valve

TheGrizz1860

Recruit
Hey guys i'm new to the forum but have been a viewer for a while. I have a question (hopefully and simple one) about my outboard motor acting up lately. I'm a duck hunter and I frequently use my boat in non-ideal conditions. Within the past few trips I have noticed that when I put the motor in reverse and back to neutral it takes 3 to 5 seconds for it to come back down to it's normal idle. I was running it in the yard today and noticed now that it's doing it going from forward to neutral also. I know these motors run different from when they are in the yard and in the water (with proper back pressure) but I just want to clarify that it is also doing this in the water. I was looking at it today and all the throttle linkage seems to be working properly and doesn't appear to be sticking anywhere. Just playing around with it I ran across the intake manifold solenoid valve and on this there is a nipple that sucks air continuously so I decided to put my finger over the nipple while I moved it from reverse to neutral and it seemed to fix the problem. I was wondering if anyone knew if this could be the culprit to my problem. Is this an item that typically goes bad? Any other suggestions on what I could possibly look into if this isn't the problem. Motor runs great other then the issue above. Thanks for the help and ideas in advance. I tried to attach a link to the parts diagram for my motor and the part in question is item number 6.

Attachments

• outboard schematics.png
    outboard schematics.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model ? serial # perhaps ?-----This may well be running the way it was designed !