Mercury lower unit paint

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The lower unit on my merc is dented and chipped. I have another lower unit that is perfect however the paint sucks. I've been sanding it and it is coming but it took me 2 hours just to do one side of the skeg. Is there a faster way? I want it all off I'm going to leave it bare I think it looks better. That paint is on good. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm a cosmetics person so it has to look good. ThanKS guys. Oh and it's a 2002 merc 200hp

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the paint is a protection against corrosion.

alldodge

Staff member
A BIG +1 Agree with Scott; Anodes are on the drive to protect it against corrosion and there made if zinc or aluminum. Your drive is made of aluminum, so by removing the paint the drive becomes a sacrificial anode

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I have repainted a number of lower units,Don't leave it bare.If you are down to bare aluminum use a good etching primer and then put the finishing coat on in thin layers.
Again DON'T leave it bare or it becomes an anode.
Lyle

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and yes, even in fresh water, aluminum will corrode into a chalky white flakey mess

Dukedog

Captain
Don't know 'bout tha "sacrificial anode" part. Production sport master/torque master are bare. Only "easy way" is soda blastin'.......It will take a lotta attention ta keep tha "color" I thnk your lookin' for unless its a splochy dark gray......Seen a couple with clear applied but didn't last long...........

Most that want that color just use a "primer" as a finish on stock gear cases because of tha high maintance of keepin' it "lookin' good". Scratches n bumps don't jump out at cha like ona shinny black one......jmo

Last edited:

merc850

Commander
Prime it and paint it with Aluminum paint, I paint them with light coats then put it in a hot car to bake or use a heat gun to quickly harden the paint.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah somebody better tell the bare aluminum on my sportmaster lower that it needs to start corroding.

Ive seen several lowers and mids that were polished. They look great and with cleaning after use will last a long time with a little buffer action every now and then. I wouldnt use them in saltwater though. In any case the sacrificial zinc anodes used under the motor mid clamp and as the trim adjuster are much more electrochemically reactive than the mid housing and lower unit. My sporty came out of brackish Louisiana water and the anodes didnt look very good but the lower was perfect. In fresh water it wount make a bit of difference if you leave it bare if you take care of it.

blmccall

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I believe that zinc anodes are used in salty/brackish water and manganese anodes are better in fresh water as it is softer material for exchange to occur

andrewcoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The reason I want to leave it bare is because of the mercury racing ones that are bare. I dont give a rats ass if it corrodes. Even if I do paint it. I have to sand it all down before I prime and paint it. So this goes back to my origanal question. How do I get the paint off. Thats what I asked I am looking for an answer. OR can I just paint over the damn thing.. Thank you guys

Dukedog

Captain
Only "easy way" is soda blastin'.......

And that's still time consumin'. Just not as much labor. Like said, it ain't gonna corrode! Yeah, ya can rough it up and paint. Merc "phatom black" ina rattle can is good as any.......Jus takes several coats (let each coat completely dry) with some sandin' in between and buffin' at tha end.........jmo