Starter Cuts out

I have a 1983 80HP Mariner outboard motor. When it is started after not running for a few days the starter disengages and for quite a few attempts it does this. It the problem with the starter and do these have a bendix or a gear that wears out ?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Whenever the motor fires, while cranking it with the starter, the bendix is supposed to kick-out. This allows the starter to free wheel. If this is what you are seeing, your motor is firing, but not starting. Usually that is a symptom of being out of tune. Choke it better, and maybe change the spark plugs. Test the compression and spark on all cylinders.

robert graham

Admiral
A good idea to inspect/clean/lubricate(a drop of oil) that bendix unit about once a year so it operates smoothly....

Thanks guys ,but the problem is as I see it , the bendix is dissengaging before the motor has a chance to even fire, Sometimes I hear that whirring noise as soon as I turn the key.

merc850

Commander
Sounds like a weak battery or corrosion on the terminals, usually the neg. one. The battery should have at least 9.5v while cranking.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Two of my motors do exactly the same thing, and have for years. Very annoying.

Have gone over everything several times, even replace starter, solenoid, battery cables, battery switch, solenoid to battery cable.

Only on the first start after sitting for 14 hours or longer.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
I have found on some starters that they are not engaging the flywheel deep enough when the bendix should be engaged. After market starters can be off on the casting, and used starters can have the upper oil lite bearing worn to cause the trouble. I usually find this to be the problem by watching the motor and starter when a helper turns the motor over with the kill switch engaged. JMO
Oldman570

Dukedog

Captain
"normal" reasons starter "drops out" prematurely .............

weak batt. and/or bad connections
weak bendix and/or starter
weak compression allowing motor ta "spin up" releasing bendix
lack of enough fuel ta start (especially when cold) allowing motor ta "spin up" releasing bendix.
poorly tuned ie: timing, fuel/fire etc. allowing motor ta "spin up" releasing bendix