no reverse, 25hp 2 stroke 2004 Mercury

I just changed the water pump impeller on a 25hp 2 stroke 2004 Mercury. Everything went back together fine and the motor seems to run great, but only when it's shifted into forward.

Now when I put the shifter into reverse, it goes forward. Anyone know what I did wrong? Thanks for any help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Shift shaft was not aligned right when assembled.

Drop gearcase again.
Place shifter in forward.
Place gearcase in forward.
Install gearcase.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take it apart again and put both control and tranny in neutral, then reassemble, but make sure you connect to the shift shaft. You missed making the connection last time.

Thank you for the replies. I apologize. I am lost.
How will I know if the Shift Shaft is in Nuetral or Forward once it is disassembled?

When I disassembled, I thought I had the control and shift shaft in forward.
I think I messed up by spinning the driveshaft trying to seat the impellar in the pump housing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Turning the driveshaft to seat the impeller is correct procedure.-----NOT the cause of your problem !

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Move the throttle/shift controller to neutral. Then take the dissembled foot of the motor and using your hand shift the gears from forward to reverse. When doing this shifting you will feel the gears go into neutral as you shift back and forth from forward to reverse. When controller and gears are both in neutral reconnect the foot to the motor being careful to align the shift rod to the gear shaft. It's easy but might take a few tries. Good luck.

I followed your instructions and noticed the shifter at the motor on the port side wasn't moving when the shift controller was moved at the console.

I looked on the opposite starboard side of the motor and found this broken linkage. Part labeled A appears to need to connect to B. Does anyone know what this part is called, or how to describe it to get a replacment? Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
crowleymarine .com/mercury-outboard/parts/3236_60.cfm

HOLY SMOKE! ! i've searched all over.. THANKS!!

I kept typing in "linkage" of some sort, I'd never thought to search for "socket"

Last edited: