Just a teaser.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I am not at liberty to divulge much at this point however this is just so cool I couldn't help myself so here is a pic on the way to the bed of my truck.

'58 to '62 Tower of Power (TBD by someone smarter than me). I never understood exactly why they were called that but this is a six cylinder 60 hp. That would explain the 'tower'.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Cool! I love old engines. Especially when they're redone. I'm a sucker for old Chryslers and Mercurys.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They are also referred to as the " dock buster "-- and ---" silent nuetral " as well.----------------------------Motor does not have gear shift.-----It is starter up to run backwards.----Then stopped and restarted to go forward.-----------------Lucky that you got the controls.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Man, Joe, can't see you trading that beast for a lousy bottle of gin, but if thats what you want, thats what you'll get. :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
They are also referred to as the " dock buster "-- and ---" silent nuetral " as well.----------------------------Motor does not have gear shift.-----It is starter up to run backwards.----Then stopped and restarted to go forward.-----------------Lucky that you got the controls.

Yeah just learned about all that - and the upside down starter?

Controls appear to be in good shape (strip and paint). He said he tested on a little 14' tri hull rated for like a 25 hp. That would have been awesome to watch...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One pinion on the starter goes up to start it for forward, and the other comes down to crank this motor over to go backwards..

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
I haven't had my hands on one of those since about '94

That would be sweet on the back of my '62 StarCraft.

I'll settle for any one the newer 115 stacked 6's.

But have to admit the old White would look just as good as a black once mounted there. Currently have an old 85 Johnson, toothed belt driven mag, tooth belt driven generator, electric start. Still needs rings, at least.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Took me a long time to figure out that some of the weirder habits my dad had when driving a boat were linked to having used one of those motors back in the day. He'd shut the motor off completely about 15 foot from the dock and coast in even if he had to use an oar to get all the way in and other small things that never really made sense at the time.