Enrichner Valve Testing Questions

klqn

Cadet
I just bought a Mercury OB 1994 115 HP 4 cycl. a month ago, it has problem (hard starting), even though I followed iboater advice - how to start my OB:
1. Prime bulb 4-5 time (until it hard)
2. Increase idle throttle
3. Turn ON - Pushed in key to for 5 sec and then start the engine.
It would a long time to start my OB.

Last night, I tested the Enrichner Valve as follow:

Primed bulb 4-5 time (until it hard), I disconnected the bottom (lower) hose from the valve, I pushed key I heard the click, but no fuel flow from fitting, However, If prime the bulb I see fuel flow from the lower hose (NOT from fitting). I reconnected the lower hose to the valve and then disconnected the top hose, I primped the bulb - push in the key, I saw fuel came out of the top fitting.

According to the service manual:
1. Remove lower hose from fitting on enrichner valve and (no fuel flow from fitting)
2. Remove upper hose from fitting on enrichner valve, if fuel flows from hose, replace valve.

My question are:
1. Did the previous owner installed the hose reverse?
2. Does my Enrichner Valve need to replace?

Thanks for your help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Key is to be held pushed in while cranking the motor over.------Pushing it in before cranking does very little to help the motor start !!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Key is to be held pushed in while cranking the motor over.------Pushing it in before cranking does very little to help the motor start !!

Yep. I see people quite often advocating pushing the key in for a few seconds BEFORE cranking. I have no idea what they think will be happening in those few seconds. Pump the bulb, turn the key and push it in.

klqn

Cadet
the carburetors were filled of oil (blue color) and sticky, opened and cleaned them today, I found the third carburetor float was filled with gas inside, how can that be? How it started right up. I ordered the flow and replace it later on. Let's try to start it tomorrow on the water.

thanks