Rebuilding 1952 Mercury Kiekhaefer Mark 5

klinecm

Recruit
I'm in the process of tearing down a 1952 Mercury Kiekhaefer Mark 5 that I received from my Grandpa after he had died. It has been sitting up, laying down, stored in a trashbag in his garage for as long as I can remember. Anyways, I started removing the head because the pistons were seized and I had gotten no where by soaking it with penetrating lubricants. I now have the pistons removed, with plenty of force and frustration, and am looking to tear down the rest before I take it to a machine shop to have it bored out and purchase new pistons. I have experience with outboard maintenance however this is my first tear down and hopefully reassembly to get my Grandpas motor running again. I purchased an online manual that claimed it had service manuals for the year, make, and model, however after reading through 400 pages it hardly mentioned the Mark 5; the store later told me that there were no manuals for the motors that early and thats all they had. Any help or anyone with experience with these motors specifically, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Here's where I am at:
Pistons removed and head removed. Head soaking in "Metal Recover" to remove any rust off of it.
I'm having trouble removing the lower unit so I can get to the gears to clean, relube, and install a new impeller.
I'm also having trouble finding a fly wheel removed so I can get to the crank and clean out and reassemble.
Basically I'm looking to tear everything down and get her back up and running! Again, any help or knowledge I'd really appreciate it!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # 1 for you is to see if you can find new O/S pistons and rings.

klinecm

Recruit
Thanks for the help Scott; a lot of good information on there and found the ratchet type flywheel remover I was looking for!