Increasing Rev Limiter Max RPM's

dreamerdfl

Recruit
I have a 1994 Mariner 225 that has a rev limiter set at 6000 rpm. It is on a 22 foot Velocity that I race in class 7 of the OPA. On the occasion that the prop comes out and I hit the 6000 rpm limit the motor literally stops. I have to sometimes even re-start it or at best put it in neutral and accelerate. It is very frustrating not to mention dangerous in the that I could get run over or cause another boat to make a dangerous move to avoid me.
1) Can it be modified in some way?
2) Can the max rev be increased?
3 Can it be adjusted so it doesn't stop the motor?
4) Any other ideas information etc. will be greatly appreciated.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
They put that rev limiter on for a reason, Just like the mod/sn tag on my Force plainly says "max RPM 5250". I'm sure someone knows how to adjust or bypass it but it's your motor so what the hey!!
JMHO,
Mike

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Call Gordon @ Monty Racing and see if he can mod the ECM module......
954-328-4445954-328-(954) 328-4445 954) 328-4445

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would you say the rev limiter is kicking at how much throttle ? You can go 1-2 pitch up to lower rpm a bit so rev limiter doesn't kick in. But that must be trialed with you alone on flat calm no wind water cond untill this cond is achieved.

Happy Boating

tyst67

Cadet
I cut mine off! People cut them because props are sometimes not available! My motor revs 7000rpm with a 30hp and speeds are 57-58 mph! You can not over rev a 2 stroke! As long as the motor is good and now bad parts, you can not over rev them

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I cut mine off! People cut them because props are sometimes not available! My motor revs 7000rpm with a 30hp and speeds are 57-58 mph! You can not over rev a 2 stroke! As long as the motor is good and now bad parts, you can not over rev them

My last engine was an '02 90 triple. In the maint manual were several wiring harnesses for this engine. Some had limiters and some didn't. If I had one with a limiter and didn't want to put up with it I'd just unplug it.

On revving a 2 stroke, I was fooling with mine one day and had the spark advance disconnected....I was replacing the plastic pivots on the carb part of the linkage. Why I started it with the linkage undone beats me. I accidentally got it self propelling where it didn't need the ignition on to keep running. My OEM tach pegged at 7k (engine upper end rating was 5500) and it was hard against the peg. It ran like that for several minutes while in shock and despiration I attempted to find something that would kill it. After the dust settled I got the timing reset per OEM and things were fine.

Anyway, the engine ran just fine for the last couple of years I had it and the current owner seems to be satisfied.

Only thing I guess you could tear up would be the reed valves in the intake. Everything else is bolted together tight as a drum on the engine proper anyway.

Mark