94 merc, 25hp, ignition issue

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 94 merc that needed a switch box/power pack/brain. Anyway, I bought a used one and connected it properly using the manual, and when I pull it over, I get a spark, but not with each stroke, but after the end of the pull. I figure it's a grounding issue, because if your hand or foot is close or touching any part of the motor, you get the shock of your life. What am I doing wrong? Is my box bad? Or is it something under the flywheel? Or my wiring off?

bgathy402

Cadet
It sounds like you have a problem with your spark leaking between the coil and the spark plug. Current always takes the path of least resistance and if there is a break in one of your plug wires the spark can jump out of the wire and give ya a good jolt like you describe, Verify that you dont have any cracked ignition coils by checking for carbon arcing, same on the plug wires, although in your case just inspecting these things should show something pretty apparent.

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would also check connections of the stator (especially the grounds) and ohm it out and compare to specs. The stator output voltage can give you a nice shock too as it's 150 volts or more.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cleaned contacts and swapped coils and still getting the same results. Next step will be to remove the flywheel and check the wires and connections to the stator.
thanks for the replies, I am open to all suggestions.