Is my lower unit leaking?

fishsurfer

Cadet
Thanks to all who advise. This is my first boat and Im getting use to what to expect from it which Im finding out is not alot. I took off the lower unit to inspect it after running in a bucket while I was tuning it and found all this oil buildup in the exhaust and crap around the top. Is this because oil is leaking out or is it normal for being in water? The oil in the lower unit looks brownish but not watery.

overview.jpg exhaust.jpg
oil.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
The brown oil is un burnt 2 stroke oil and is normal, and I would have to see what was in the drain pan to say on the LU gear oil.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What is that in your last picture? If it's from your lower unit drain plug it is not good. Any cloudiness or milkiness or chocolate coloring of lower unit oil is water intrusion. If you haven't drained and refilled your LU for several years and use your boat frequently, it could just be normal condensation. Drain, refill with new gaskets on the screws (vent and drain) and check it after the season. If you use Merc high perf LU oil it's blue black and when you check it it will be that color. If it is as stated, you need to run a pressure check on your LU and see where you have a leak, because you have one. If you run your rig constantly not that big of a deal, but if you leave it sit up for long periods of time the water will contaminate the LU and cause you problems.

Mark

fishsurfer

Cadet
Thanks Mark, I was wondering the same and since have found grease coming from the shift rod drain hole. It looks like Ill have to replace the seals for this. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pressure test the gearcase to find out what ( if anything ) is leaking.----Routine shop procedure.

fishsurfer

Cadet
This is what came out of the gearcase. Would this count as milky or murky?

20141107_162508.jpg

20141107_163158.jpg

Attachments

• 20141107_163158.jpg
    20141107_163158.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0