my 1996 mercury offshore150 hp is stalling and cutting off

locksley

Cadet
at full speed my two mercury offshore 150 only runs for about 15 minutes then break down to about 8 knots and sometimes shuts down.
what could be the cause? i am a firstimer here i hope i am understood?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Both do it? Common fuel source? Both have squeeze bulbs? Are the bulbs sucked flat when the problem occurs? After a rest period do they start back up and run fine for 15 more min? If the answers are Yes then your vent to your fuel tank is clogged not letting replacement air back into the tank or your fuel filter either in the tank or a water separator between tank and engines is clogging.

Mark

locksley

Cadet
i notice the plug is fouling, what can be the cause?i got someone to check it but iam just looking for personal information about stuff like that

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
1 plug fouling: plug, CDI that fires it or cylinder damage, like a corrosive hole in the side of the cylinder letting water in. But in the case of water, it usually cleans up the combustion chamber and it will be much cleaner than the others. Those are my guesses.

Mark

locksley

Cadet
hey thanks for the advice you've given me. i want to repower the boat because i am not ok with those engines. i am looking at 2 115 hp four stroke yahamas, do you think its enought power for the boat ? its a gradywhite offshore 24 1985 model

locksley

Cadet
hey i live in grenada in the caribbean and not much information on boats everyone almost on their own here. if you dont mind i will like to leave my number

EDIT: no phone numbers (rule #7)

i know its expensive to call i can call you if you could leave your number just to talk about boat. i dont think i am using this forum properly because im am not getting much informatiom through it. ill be realy glad if someone can talk some good boat advice in my head
thank you

Last edited by a moderator: