Ignition problem that won't go away 1982 merc 80 inline 4

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice
Well the boat ran good in the spring , then lacked power. I checked ignition and had no fire on 3,4 switchbox and stator replaced then noticed white wire from trigger oem was totally junk all the way to the housing on trigger , pull flywheel off again replace trigger , now I have spark on 3,4 but arcing plug wires --changed plug wires crimped some new ones with new plugs and no change , checked all coil grounds to motor,coil,cowling nd battery cleaned and reground wires- no change everything seems to check out on the dva meter but stll have arc on all cylinders and can tell by sound of motor,,,, I'm so lost and frustrated any help wold be greatly appreciated tks to all who contribute

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice
Also the only other thing I noticed was the power wire from motor to battery positive has a small crack in it put motor has plenty of starting power

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you say arcing plug wires, is this something that can be seen or heard? And changing plug wires did not correct this? Where exactly is it arcing from and to?

mercuryman80

Seaman Apprentice
Good evening engine , it can only be seen in dark no sound or snapping sound to it ..it seems to be jumping wire to wire and misc places like to throttle arm,engine block there is a corona effect also on the insulation of spark plug , yes I changed wires and plugs 3 times the only components that have not been replaced are the coils and primary wires for 1&2 & 3&4

bgathy402

Cadet
I cant tell exactly where your ignition is leaking voltage but it sounds like either you did something wrong when making the wires or its leaking from somewhere else like the coils.